Innovative Marine Aquariums

beginner metal halide questions

miguel

I just got a new metal halide pendant this week and have a couple newbie questions since this is my first halide.

• The light creates a certain smell, not a burning smell, but a noticeable smell. I noticed that the smell has weakened since its first couple uses. Is this normal? Will this go away completely?
  • The first time I turned the light on, the ballast instantly hummed and the light flicked on. Now, two days after getting it, when I switch on the ballast, it takes a good minute before the ballast starts to humm before the light turns on, is that normal?

This lighting looks nice, I've always loved how Halides look in the LFS's around me. It is burning with a lot of blue to it but after its burn in period, I heard that it should burn whiter. Its a 175w XM.

this is just a guess but the smell your encountering is most likely ozone being generated either by the light or ballast. The high voltage from the ballast must create ozone.

175 XM 10k or 20k?

What size tank? How High are you suspending it? What type of ballast? How Long have you had the set up?

20k Coralife over a 30g flat-back hex. Its suspended about 7 inches over the tank and I just got it this week.

Archived