inTank Media Baskets

Question for all you lighting guru’s

GatorChris

Hello all,

I hope you can help because I’m in a bit of a dilemma. I have an AGA 15 gallon designer tank that I am having difficulties finding lighting that will fit under the existing hood. I went ahead and installed two three inch fans to help with heating issues. Now here’s the hard part, the dimensions for the tank are 13x13x26. Thus, I only have 13 inches to play with. Do any of you know what power compact bulbs will fit under this hood? I know that I can cram a bunch of 13 watt lights in the hood but I was hoping that I could get a bit more wattage. Would 18, 24, 28 or 32 watt bulbs fit? I plan on buying a ballast, or two, that will accommodate 4 bulbs and then retrofit the hood. The goal of this tank is to keep lower light corals i.e. shrooms, zoo’s etc. If you’re interested in what the tank looks like, follow the link and then click designer.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

Much thanks to all who can help!

I don't know if you'd be able to fit any PC bigger than 13W in a 13" space. 28/32W bulbs from HelloLights are listed as 12 11/16". Might fit, but it with endcaps/direct wiring, probably too tight. You could probably fit 4x13W PC in there, only about 7" long. Of course you could go all out with a MH pendant.

Hey,

So far it looks like I can fit 2x27 or 54watts under the existing hood. I was hoping someone who had 18 or 24 watt bulbs in their set up could give me the dimensions on the bulbs with end caps. I wouldn't mind 4x18 or even better 4x24. However, I seldom see any vendors who offer either of these bulbs for sale.

Although a MH would be ideal, I have come to the conclusion that it would be impractical for the reef I intend to have due to the heat and cost issues. Plus, Florida summers can be quite hot!

Thanks for the suggestions so far emarti20 and bamann345! Thanks for all the help so far!

Good luck lighting that one...Halide would be the ideal because of the height as well as size restrictions...nothing else will penetrate deep enough...even a 96wattPowerquad. If you took the top off and hang a pendant over it, I think that would be your best bet...with an open top and a couple fans blowing over the water, I dont think heat would be any more of an issue than power compacts.

Even for Softies I would still recommend a halide. Even with a deep Sand bed. You still need to penetrate 20 plus inches. PC's will not cut it for anthing taller than 16-18 inches. For your sofites go for a 150 20k Pendant and retro it into your hood. I am not concerned about the 13", but I am interested in the height of your canopy.

Even Shrooms and zoos do better with higher light.

All this talk about MH has me thinking. Well, the height of my canopy is 3.5 inches and I think there is quite a bit of air circulation such that there shouldn’t be a heating issue. However, I have never owned MH so I am clueless to the mechanics of them. Would a 150 watt MH retrofit kit fit in my canopy? If not, I think I’m going to go with power compacts because I like the look of my tank with the canopy. (It looks nice and flush)

Thanks to all whom have helped thus far. Keep the good ideas coming.

3.5 inches is about the closest I would keep any MH from the water. I don't think I would Try Halide in that little of Space. Is the Canpoy wood or plastic?

If you did go 150DE (a Singe ended halide would not fit) I would be concerned about how you would go about installing the UV Glass.

My Suggestion is to Build your own hood about 10 inches High

( it will look fine cause your tank is so tall) and put a 175 20k (SE's are Cheaper than DE's) Reto in there and be done with it.

Unfortunately the canopy is made of plastic and my carpentry skills are close to nil. So, I don’t think making another canopy is an option. There must be something I can do?

PC's get hot and will warp most plastic. Be sure to have a good reflector to insulate it. Canopies of that size are cheap and rather easy to build. The Key is to find a buddy with tools. Generally if they have tools they have a basic Idea of how to use them. I would very much suggest builing a hood, the key is make for easy access in your tank and be sure to add fans.

You always have the option of hanging a pendant and leave an open top, but you like your hood. I have seen some very sleek looking pendants though.

First, if I were you I'd get rid of the plastic hood. any PC or MH light setup will get it pretty warm, and I wouldn't want to chance it melting or warping that hood. Even with a decent reflector in it.

but either a 70 watt or 150 metal halide would work fine over that tank. you can do a DIY 70 watt halide these days for roughly $104. basically $70 for the lamp, $25 for the ballast and $9 for a work light that can be gutted to retrofit the new lamp in.

If you are no good at building a hood, hang the retrofit MH lamp over the tank, and leave the tank top open..this will also help in cooling.

my two pennies

Dan

Hello all,

I have done some research and have found out that 18 watt bulbs, which are 9 inches, will fit under my hood. So, my plan is to buy four of these and retrofit them under my existing hood. Well, I have been searching all over the internet for 18 watt bulbs and I have realized that not many retailers offer these for sale. However I have found a seller on Ebay who is selling 12000k bulbs, called marine blue and 7100k bulbs, called day bright, for $11. Are these bulbs any good, or should I pay $5 more per bulb and buy 10000k and true actinic bulbs? Also, is the workhorse 5 ballast any good? It says that I can use it to power four 18 watt bulbs.

Nevertheless, I want to thank all whom have contributed to this thread. Your sharing of knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Link to 18w

12000k bulb

Link to 18w 7100k bulb

Link to Workhorse 5 Ballast

Ballast is awesome, but be sure you know how to wire endcaps. Bulbs are hit and miss.

Now we come back to cost you have 4x11-15 dollars is 45-60 bucks for the bulbs. Plus shipping 10 bucks.

55-70 dollars for bulbs

30 plus shipping for the ballast

10 plus shipping for the endcaps

20-30 plus shipping for reflectors.

So on the the cheap end you are at 105 plus shipping. expensive end 140 plus shipping.

What you end up with is 72 watts of lighting (possibly no Actinic) which at the bottom of a 20-26 inch tank will barely be enough for mushrooms to grow. And you will have a hood that you hope you can retro and ballasts that you hope you can wire. Now you proay for your hood to not be ghetto and you strive to keep most corals within 12-16 inches of the lights.

with a 150 20k MH you can keep what ever you like (Croceas, SPS) and even have clams (Derasa, Squamies) on the Sand bed.

Also all your softies will kick arse too. You can do a pendant or if you wnat cheaper, go with a 175 and once again build a hood. 1 bulb 1 fixture, little wiring. and you have all the light you need.

Even a 70w MH is better than 72w of PC.

JMO.

Archived