Top Shelf Aquatics

Should I have nitrates this early??

rustyreef

Hi.. Can a tank have many nitrates before the cycle is over.. or even started?? I setup my tank with 7lbs of good cured LR last Saturday, and I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites, but surprisingly almost 10 ppm nitrates. Is this normal? Has my cycle even started.. or is it finished this fast??

Maybe the live rock was so good that it didnt really need to cycle.. it has tons of coralline and life all over it.. whatever dies is quickly being eaten by scavengers that came with the rock.

just wondering.... thanks

rusty

patience.

at least you have something to watch. if scavengers are out and about already you got some good rock. wait a couple days and check again. 10 is not all that high.

patience

nalbar

Rustyreef, the cycle on my 2.5g was like three days. So yes, with well-cured live rock that you didn't expose to too much of a temperature and salinity change, won't have much dieoff.

hmm... maybe my cycle is done.. but im going to wait a week or two just to make sure... I did have a bad temp change this morning when the heater plug fell out of the socket.. temp dropped 80 to 74, but I got it back up quickly and everything seems to be uneffected..

thanks.. rusty

Archived