SaltCritters.com

20 gal H - Refugium, Aquaclear

Kassun

I just upgraded my 11gal via aqua to a 20 Gal H tank. I have been looking at Refugium's and I have seen many ppl using an Aqua Clear with a diy skimmer attaced to the intake. What size should I purchase? 200gph = ,300 gph ,500gph? And should I use a skimmer or not?

Thanks for your time,

Kassun

Thanks Steve961, just picked one up ac500. I'll be putting in a piece of plexy to slow down the flow. Should I make a skimmer for it with pvc or not? I'll post some pics tomorrow eve, Yeay tomorrow is pay day :) I'll feel rich until I go coral shoping.:)

Kassun

Kassun:

Don't waste your time, and money, trying to make a skimmer attachement for your AC500. The one Hagen sells is only around $10 mail order and htey work great.

Here are some pics, The flow disruptor is 6" high, I used the existing grate that came with the ac500 and cut it down and it works as a great grate to pervent culpra ect entering the tank, but big enough for pods to seep through.

Here are the pics

Kassun

Looks like you used the Eggcrate stuff that's included to hold the Nitrate Collecting Sponge to baffle the outlet. Did you have to snip those holes larger for the flow to be adequate out of the fuge?

Also, which light and stalk are you using? I'm going to rig mine up the same way you are.

And how'd you cut the acrylic cover that comes with the AC500 to let the lite shine through?

kweckstrom:

I sniped the holes too allow pods to flow through the mesh beter, and still pervent the macro from comming through and spilling into my tank.

I'll include a pic of the light, I bought it at menards for 9.99

As far as the cutting i used a ruler and a exato knife to score the acrlic, and then used a utilith knofe to do the rest. It took me like an hour to cut it. I cut both sides to ensure when i went to break a piece off it didn't crack the entire top.

Kassun

i just bought an ac 500 for my 20H too. I just siliconed in an acrylic baffle. I'm gonna use your idea of putting the mesh there to keep the macro in. I plan on putting some chaetomorpha in there.

For lighting, I have a few leftover cold cathode tubes that ppl put in there computers for decoration. I have tubes that are yellow, blue, and green, but when you turn them all on at once it looks white, so i'm not stressin.

i moded out my ac500, what do ppl do about the light getting into their reefs from th efuge lamp. No matter what I do i still get alot of light in my tank. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Kassun

Archived