ReefCleaners.org

HOB Filter a must have? (5.5 nano)

mapv281

hey everyone, I'm new to this wonderful and addicting hobby, I've been doing months worth of reading/research and I have finally begun to put together my first of many to come, nano reef, I was originially going to set up a 10 gal, but I still have freshwater fish in them, so I got tired of waiting and got myself a 5.5 gal tank last weekend and made myself an oak canopy, I have ordered the lights and all the equipment I need, except a HOB filter, so far I'm planning on doing the water circulations with powerheads only, I'm wondering if I should put a hob filter still or I can do without one? I'm planning on getting a 12" cpr aquafuge sometime in the near future, so can I do away without one or is it a must have? I don't see why I would need one since it is mainly used for water movement when it comes to nanos. Please reply soon so I can finish up my set up this weekend and get things started.........oh yeah, one last note involved into this hobby and all of you who have posted pics for letting my gf see the results of this so she could understand that the $ being put to this will be worth it. She's had a hard time understanding that part, I bet a lot of you can relate to that.

HOB's are great for added water movement. You can run it without media and then if you need to do the carbon or a phosphate removing product you're all set. For a 5.5 I would either go with an Aquaclear mini or and Aquaclear 150.

And the ability of the HOB to break the water surface can help with the problem of the film scum that builds on the top of the water. It's a major improvement to just using a PH in the tank.

• 5 weeks later...

I have an aquaclear mini on my 5.5g with sand, liverock rubble and macroalgae (grape, razor and reg. caulerpa), it's a great piece of equipment (especially when you get it on ebay for a buck...). I am now thinking about getting the 300 and putting the motor from my mini on it. larger refugium, more water volume and a place to hide more equipment like heater, skimmer etc......

hth

I have an aquaclear 150 HOB on my 7 gallon mini-bow. Works great for adding carbon, possibly a small skimmer. Some people also use it as a refugium. Although not a must, it may provide many opportunities to better your tank.

Archived