SaltCritters.com

Shrooms not opening

TimR

Well, it has been two months since I coverted from a 35 hex to a 29 AGA (built into the family room wall). Since that time everything has gone well with the exception of the purple mushrooms failing to open up. The shrooms are only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size. These have been in various tanks for about 4 years. They are spread throughout the tank in since the rocks have been moved around so many times over the year.

Tank spec's:

29 AGA

50 lbs live rock - all of it at least 5 years old. Mostly atlantic base or plant rock. Not high quality but it works.

3-4 inch sand bed

2x55 PC's with 50/50 bulbs

Modified SeaClone Skimmer

1 Rio 600 powerhead on the opposite side of the tank from the skimmer.

I recently added a frag of encrusting pollups and they are opening up without issue. Some of the shrooms in lower light areas seem to expand better (reaching for the light) than those in the light.

I do not dose the tank and do 20% water changes monthly. The tank is cycled and all basic parameters are good. I have not checked phos. level however.

Any thoughts/suggestions. Would adding calcium, stronium, mobelium help?

Tim

If they havnt opened since you put them in the new tank then my guess is they are not happy with their spot in the tank. Maybe too much light or too much current. Try moving them and see what happens. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Smif-n-Wessom

Mushrooms are low light low flow corals. I had my green frilly mushrooms in the middle of my tank right in flow with the powerhead and they didn't open up either. I placed them closer to the bottom of the tank and next day they were open fully. Give it a try.

Steve

Archived