Pod Your Reef

Increasing Calcium

dweebikus

So, I've been working on my tank (you guys might have seen my other threads of it's disarray). Anyways, algae is getting back under control after a handful of water changes and I'm looking at my water chemistry.

Last night I was at 7dKH, 300ppm calcium, 1140 mag

I'm slowly raising my Mg with Kent Tech M. My Alk could probably be a little higher but I don't think it needs much adjustment, and after reading this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I continue to think that way and think I'm in Zone 3. That suggests using a direct calcium supplement and not a 2 part to raise my Ca levels.

So, here's the funny thing, I've got a couple Calcium additives at home and I'm wondering if either would be appropriate for the job:

Elos Combi Ca

and

ESV Carbonate Calcium

The ESV is not the Bicarbonate set, it's the "original calcium buffer" version.

Would either of those be cool or should I just go get some Kent Turbo Cal or some BRS Calcium supplement?

lakshwadeep

By carbonate calcium, you mean B-Ionic, right? If so, then that should be fine. You're alkalinity is at the low end of the normal range, giving you leeway to add both the calcium and alkalinity parts. Try to stick with one brand's balanced supplement.

Archived