inTank Media Baskets

MH question

wulffenstein

wulffenstein

I have a weird idea that is brewing in my head. After seeing the tank featured this month on RC I am think about putting MH on my 20 gal. I currently have 110 watts of PC light in my tank.

What would be the advantages, disadvantages, and problems to switching to the same or slightly larger wattage of MH?

I think that would give me the ability to keep just about anything I could want in the tank, including clams.

Any ideas???

Guest LudavicoTechnique

wulffenstein , Dave is under the impression that topics may only be discussed once in a FORUM, so I will answer what I can about Halides.

The first thing you will notice is a dramatic increase in HEAT. Yeah you could keep clams, but they are very difficult (and beautiful) most of the time. Metal Halides put out more light per watt that PC so you can use the same wattage lamps. You will probably need ACTINIC supplimentation too, depending on the color of your MH bulb.

wulffenstein

Thanks . . . Dave did seem a little grumpy :mad:

Most small tanks I have seen with MH have them suspended above the tank. If I took my current light set up out of my hood I would have space for a MH set up. Do you think I am asking for to much heat problems if I put them in a hood. I am guessing at that point I would want to work on a topoff system also.

I have 175w 12k MH on my 15gal tall tank. I use a 4" fan to cool it. I haven't had any problems. I only have 2 corals so far. I upgraded from PC. Later R1

Demosthenes

Yeah, IMO, you should get a 175W 20K MH. Suspend it above the tank, and you should have a great tank. The 20K will be brighter, crisper, and bluer, so no Actinic supplementation should be required. The following is an awesome 20Reef, that should give you some ideas: 20Nano. For cheap MH lighting, try AquaticLight. They have very cheap prices due to not using name-brand ballasts, but have always done the trick for me. HTH

If I were you I would buy a magtek or advanced ballast from a local light company. I would shop online for the bulb, socket, and reflector. I would get a fan at radio shack. You might want to get a plastic box from Lowe's to put the ballast in I did. I like to shop at http://www.marinedepot.com/ and http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...g/lighting.html for lighting.

bulb 12k 59.00(175) to 69.00(250)

ballast 70.00 +/-

spider light with reflector 48.00

fan Radio Shack 10.00

Wire from Ballast to light and ballast to wall, Plug end wire nuts and elect tape and plastic box 25.00

IMO I would not go over a 12k bulb it will be to blue. Some of the 10 bulbs have a blue hue to them coralife dose i know.

good luck

Demosthenes thanks for the link that a nice 20gal

see your Love thread LUD.

Im not grumpy, but merely tell ing U there is asearch option U can use and save us the waste to reply AGAIn to a similar thread we did less than a week ago. :rolleyes:

Ludavico,

You have it backwards Watt for Watt MH is cooler than any other lighting commonly found in the hobby.

It is the most efficient lighting available.

The reason people "Think" it's hotter is because all the heat comes from a 1" bubble instead of being spread out along a long tube.

I hope I cleared that up for you,

Toy

NanoReefer53

watts per watt it's the same amount of heat. As toy said it's just condensed into one spot. Metal halide would be great on a 20g (like i have:) ) I keep a 250w 10k bulb over mine and I love it as do my corals. My bulb is about 3.5" off the top of open water surface. I have a 4" 65cfm fan blowing across the surface and the temperature never goes above 80.

Look for great deals on halide lighting on places like the ReefCentral classifieds. I got my ballast and bulb for $120. Before that I got a dual 175w ballast with 2 6month old 10k bulbs for $90.

Archived