ReefCleaners.org

Actinic question(s)

Chronicles

Since I started saltwater I've always had 50/50 bulbs until today when I returned my 2 week old 96watt power quad and got a 24" 2x65 setup. I love the way the actinics look without the 10k bulb. I was wondering:

1) does actinic light in effect algae?

2) Is it okay to run the actinic for 10-12hrs and the 10k for 6-8hrs?

Anything else that you could think of about actinic light would be great. If my fish would sleep with it on, I'd leave it on 24hrs a day. I'm sure glad I got the 2 bulbs now instead of a 50/50.

I've got the CSL 2x40 system over my 10g... one 10k, one actinic. Once you've seen the tank bathed in the blue light and your corals flourescing under it, you'll never switch back.

Your actinics shouldn't increase algae growth, if that's what you're worried about. Remember that when you're running with just the actinic with your setup, that it's only half the wattage.

Running the actinic before and after the main lights is commonplace. It's called a dawn/dusk light arrangement. Add a moonlight and you've got 24 hour lighting effects. :)

Be careful with the AquaLight, tho... I've personally had a 4x65 over a 55g tank and it had heat problems... the two little micro-fans in it just weren't enough to keep the hood cool. Add additionl cooling if needed.

Enjoy your actinincs. :)

Archived