Cultivated Reef

Info from LFS

laserman24

I went to my lfs, aquatic warehouse in San Diego, and asked them about MH lighting for maxima clams. I got a 30g cube tank I'm going to be setting up soon. Its about 20 inches tall. He said I should get a 150w hqi because it puts out more light then a 250w SE, runs cooler and uses less energy. I just wanted to confirm this because I dont know that much about MH.

Thanks

Jason

my guess is people are gonna tell you to go with a 250W DE, because they are the same price and the cube is kind of tall. Something like 60% of light is lost after 18 inches, I am not quite sure of the specific. I kind of asked the same thing a couple of weeks ago because I am going the same route.

Got a 250W DE mini pendant, ballast, bulb $300 for my 20L.

I can raise clams and sell them to the sushi place now.

just kidding

your title should have said it all.

150 may put out more then a 175, but more than a 250 SE is questionable. Still go with the 250 DE.

But for the sake of argument I would love to see a study where a 150 ushio will put more light than a 250 SE Ushio using the same ballast and optimal reflectors. I would even go so far to say that if run on the same ballast the the 175 with a good relfector and 150 would be very simialar. DE's have better reflector qualities and are more effecient and also have a slightly more intense point source. If someone has the hard data that the 250 DE are more intense than a 400 SE on the same ballast and that the 150 are more than the 175 on the same ballast and bulb brand that Sanjay wrote please let me know.

Go 250 DE.

Do you think I need a 250w? I have a PC 2x36w already, would that and a 150w hqi be enough? I dont plan on placing the clams at the bottom of the tank.

Thanks

Jason

Archived