inTank Media Baskets

lights

oflores

I have a nanocube and saw one at the LFS that had what they called four T5 or V5 Lights instead of the PC that they come with. They had a clam inside and said the lighting system would keep the clam alive.

Does anyone have an idea if this is true?

Will two PC bulbs keep a clam alive?

Will a 70watt MH with the PC keep the clam alive?

Yes it will however if you are just setting up your tank it's not a good idea to try and keep a clam. They need pristine water conditions and should only be kept in tanks that are fully matured.

Originally posted by caja

Yes it will  

Which one, the two compacts, the compact with the two T5/V5, or the compacts with MH?

My tank is two months old and I was thinking of adding the clam later but was thinking of what lights to add. Or adding some sps to the tank.

give the tank 4 - 6 months, study up on clams until then. the MH will definatley work. I've heard good things about t-5's, and I have also heard that sps tend to not color up as nice, which would lead me to believe this may be insufficient for a clam, but I dunno how well they work out, as I have only been using them myself for 2 weeks. As far as PC lighting goes, the clams to stick with would be squamosas and derasas, but again , do your reading. www.clamsdirect.com would be a good site for clam care. click on that section on the right.

As always Birdman you give great advice! Congradulations on your tank making tank of the month!

Yeah, Tong's in Fallbrook/Fountain Valley in your neck of the woods had the nanocube set up with four T5 lights and had a clam in the tank. The lighting didn't seem as bright but they had a bunch of polyps, shrooms, softies and one awsome red BTA. The clam had been in the tank for 3-4 months. My concern was that the clam would start to die off in @ six months or so.

As far as waiting six months, I was planning on doing that but I don't want to buy a light system and then find out it sucks for what I want to do.

I was hoping of keeping the current 24watt pc and adding two T5 bulbs. Some else told me just to add a 28watt pc and that would sufficient to keeping clams and any sps.

What do you think?

the smallest t-5's I know of ar 18", how wide is your nano-cube. Those Tong's people are always busy, and always turning over livestock, despite their usually dismissive appearance. I will start looking at the clam, but I have noticed other things in the tank have been cycled thru, or died off, so I look at those tanks at the LFS as more of little holding tanks, until someone with a big wallet, or a friend comes along and REALLY wants something.

Here's the problem with PC, and T-5 lighting. I never saw the intense coloration on my corals. When I put the halide in the minibow, in less than a month the corals colors were dramatically brighter. 56 watts PC has been known to keep clams, check out Gilmas Tank of the month, and he has had a squamosa for near 6 mos now, and it looks great, he's only got 32 w pc. but again, he waited till the tank was mature, and was rewarded. hit him up if you have any questions.

oh yeah , " any SPS under t-5" no. Start with researching montipora sp. If you go back to tong's, nuy knows alot about reef animals. I think Amy does too but she usually works the desk. Nuy is shorter and usually works the livestock...

Yeah I figured as much about Tongs. You know I never thought figuring out lights would be so difficult. I want to get the 70watt MH from hellolights.com but was reading that I have to place a glass cover to keep the UV from killing the coral and fish. Do you have any idea if the acrylic case that houses the pc bulb would block the UV radiation?

It fustrating because most of the stores that I've gone to all have told me I can keep the clam in my tank but its apparant all they want is to make a profit. :angry:

Hey birdman do you have fans on your tank and a heater?

yes, but so close to the bulb will melt the tank. I just posted a bunch of pics , click on the pic in my signature, on page 3 and 4, there is info.

Yeah you can keep a clam, It's great, every 6 mos, you get to pic a different one :P I am just kidding with that. again a squamosa or derasa may work out for you, but the derasas get big ( see RC tank of the Month, Monster derasa in front) and squamosa do as well. Make sure yuo have a place for them to go. Croceas are the smallest of the giant clams, but demand the most light as they are found high on the reefs.

Well I emailed jbj regarding the lighting system and keeping clams. I forgot who, but someone else received a similar message. This is the response I got from them. I am sure the most of the nanoreefers will argue that what jbj said is true. I just thought I would post this for any interested person.

Hello Oscar,

We have had a Blue crocea clam in our office tank for the last 8 months. We have it placed near the surface about 3" from the light. You have to realize that the tank is not very deep so you don't need as much light that you would in a tank that is deeper.

We do not have any retrofits for the Nano Cube, many people have been happy with its performance.

If you need any replacement pumps or lamps you can call us directly @ (310) 672-4099

JBJ - U.S.A. - AQUARIUM PRODUCTS

Online Customer Care

jbjlighting@aol.com

www.jbjlighting.com

Fax: (310) 672-7261

Archived