Pod Your Reef

Caribsea Buffer Plus - dosing help

thewire

I recently received a sample for the caribsea buffer plus (powdered). My dkh is been low side..around 7 and my calcium is around 360-370.

The instruction said 1 tbs mix in 1 cup of water for every 15g.

How much do I dose for my 12g nc tank? I can't get a measurement since I can't weight it..lol. What is a safe side to dose? Shall I mix (?? amount) into new batch of saltwater when i do water change? Also should I dose it right after light off?

lakshwadeep

How old is the tank? What is the ingredient list? What is your livestock list?

IMO, using a buffer alone (which will only increase alkalinity) is not going to help in the long term in dealing with calcium and alkalinity problems. Calcium and alkalinity are closely intertwined, and so it's important to try to use a balanced additive. This is a good guide to learning about supplementation:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Tank is up since Oct 09. I thought the Buffer Plus does has Ca included part of the dosing....Is there a cheaper or easier solution that is safe so I wont overdose?

lakshwadeep

What corals are in the tank? Dosing alkalinity and calcium is most important when you have stony corals and clams.

Read the section labeled "Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity: What Method?" under my link. For nano tanks, two part solutions are usually easy to use and not expensive. A buffer with calcium sounds odd because calcium and carbonate (what increases alkalinity) can quickly precipitate into solid calcium carbonate before addition to the tank.

under the sea

i think they refer to total water volume. so if you have a nc 12 with live rock ect... you have 8-9 gallons? use 1/2 tbs. i think you can mix it with some fresh top off water and add it slowly. i received the samples from caribsea too, very nice of them, almost $20 worth of stuff.

i think they refer to total water volume. so if you have a nc 12 with live rock ect... you have 8-9 gallons? use 1/2 tbs. i think you can mix it with some fresh top off water and add it slowly. i received the samples from caribsea too, very nice of them, almost $20 worth of stuff.

ya. I have not yet tested it.

thanks for the tips. Maybe I will go 1/2 of 1/2 tbs to be safe.

Archived