SaltCritters.com

I Want More Actinic?.?.....

jaguilar

i currently have the 2x32w retro on my eclipse12. as y'all should know, it consists of one 10,000k daylight bulb, and one ultra-actinic bulb. what i want to know, is it necessary to keep my light set-up as is with equal amounts of daylight and actinic, or would it be ok to replace the daylight bulb with the 50/50 bulb that comes with the supernova? the reason i ask this is because i personally like the "blue" look more than anything. i'm not talking about getting rid of the daylight altogether, just lowering it's intensity while raising the intensity of the actinic. after all, it would have the same amount of daylight if i had just put in one supernova as opposed to the 2x32. it would just have a lot more actinic blue. would this be harmful to any of my corals? this plan isn't underway, it's just an idea. i would like to hear an expert's advice on this ,please. actually any feedback would be appreciated. thanks in advance.... j...

You would be fine with 1x50/50 and 1xActinic. Just bear in mind that I would position the PC's with the "single" 10k portion over the middle. Also you will loose a bit of intensity so I would just make sure that you are not trying to keep high light corals, montipora being your only SPS's. Squamis being your only Clams. You might want to go with 2xActinic and 1x10k. ..... If you can fit three bulbs in there.

thanx for the help.... as far as high light corals go, i don't really have any interest in sps's, my main obsession are the lps's and the zoos. and for the clams, i really luv em, but the last time i asked about them here, i was told not to bother because all i would do is slowly kill em.(even the squamis!) do you agree?.?... i would really like to try a clam, so which is the least demanding on light intensity? thanx again... j...

With 1x50/50 and 1xactinic you will be fine with zoos and LPS, although they will grow a bit slower. As a side note, though you could grow corals solely under 10k light, Actinic, contrary to popular belief is very usable by zooxanthelle.

If you want Clams and alot of blue go 2xActinic and 1x10k. Clams are generally not bottom dwellers and do best with intense lighting. Two Varieties to try are Derasa and Squamosa. These will both Grow under your lighting(1x10k and 1xActinic 32 watters) Just slowly. The Key is with them is to have an established, stable tank with good CA and ALk and good water quality. moderate to low nitrates Nitrates are not bad, though. Clams Actually use it. I also recommend that your first Clam is more than 3" Inches big. Smaller clams are more finicky and often times require feeding. Keep in mind both of these species will grow bigger than your whole tank!

That Said I would Either Choose Clams or Blue, not both, unless you could add a third PC.

thanks for the help jahkaya.... appreciate the advise.. but i will probably keep the set-up as is. (equal daylight and actinic) at least until i can add another actinic bulb to the current set-up.

Archived