Top Shelf Aquatics

Margarita Snails - Prefer Cold Water?

MKramer

As the temperatures in my apartment have climbed, so has the temperature of my aquarium. Where I used to keep it at 80, I now have to keep it at 82, it it has ocasionally reached as high as 85 during the peak of a day.

For the most part, this hasn't bothered anything living in there, except, I suspect, my margarita snails.

On days when the tank temperature does rise, they frequently fall off the glass, and rarely move until things cool off.

Has anyone else noticed that their margarita snails seem to be particularly sensitive to warm water? As good as they've been for me, I can't say I'd recommend them to anyone who might have to deal with warm conditions.

Besides, they haven't done a fraction of the work as the new baha snail has. That little guy is on a one-man mission to clean up the algae in my entire tank.

I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. But I had to ask, what's a baha snail? Do you have a pic or a link? I could use a few more snails, but I'd rather not get the same one I have. I'ma big fan of diversity :)

They're a type of cerith snail from the Guld of Mexico. They burrow and clean glass beneath the sand line, but also spend time on the rocks. Mine seems to have an affinity for red hair algae, and has devoured almost every last bit of it in my tank, which was a considerable amount. I'm not sure if he'll work as enthusiasticly now that his favorite meal is almost gone, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Here's a link to premium aquatic's page, with a picture (I got mine locally, though):

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=Snails

I'm not real happy with the margarita snails. I had heard they were real workhorses, I have found that not to be true. Two of my original three have died and when they were alive they didn't do much that I could see.

Today I got six more to spread around the three tanks I have set up to see of this batch does any better. I also got two turbos. WOW, those suckers really go after the algae! The margartias are just kind of sitting there and the turbos are eating away at the red slime and green hair. I hope they don't knock over everything in the tank in their feeding frenzy.

I also got two what were called sand conchs by the sales guy, but on the sales slip the were listed as nassariidae snails. I don't know what the heck they are.

NaNO ReeFiN

I don't know much about the Margarita snails cause I don't see them at my LFS but my astreas are some real hardworking snails. Glass, rocks, sand, they'll clean it all. (For me that is... :D )

This topic interested me because I recently had three margarita snails, but within 2 weeks, 2 or them kept falling off the glass and I eventually found my blue leg hermit eating them. One is still alive, but he is not very active and stays on the rock most of the time. I keep my temp at 78 but it has been fluctuating to 82 some days. Don't know if this has any impact on the margaritas.

But I purchased 2 turbos over the weekend and I am very pleased. They are very active and are doing a good job on the algae. Just my input.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi Matt,

It's nice to see you on the board, you don't post often anymore! I had 2 margaritas, I keep my tank at roughly 80 (sometimes goes to 82, depending on temp outside), and the margarita that kept falling off the glass eventually died in a week or so- the one that stays on, that I've never had to rescue, is still alive. I don't know if falling off means a snail is on its way out or not- just my observations.

I love baja snails- they get in everywhere and eat everything, I think by far they're the best kind. Unfortunately my hermits have an affinity for their shells. I have one remaining out of 5, and he spends most of his time burrowed under the gravel where it's safe.

Tasha

Hi tasha. Yeah, I find my online habits go in spurts.... I'll enthusiastically check all my usual sites for a while, then get sick of it for a while. Funny thing is, work productivity seems to go up during the latter period. I'm sure it's completely unrelated, though.

It's beginning to sound like the margarita problem is less of a temperature thing and more of a margarita hardiness thing. I've bought 6 so far, and only have 3 remaining. Two of which are now falling off the glass at least once or twice a day.

And like lizbeth noted, mine are hardly the workhorses I've seen certain stores claim they are (*cough* *cough* Jeff's *cough*).

I've been super impressed with my baja, and so far he's been left alone by all of the hermits. I'd like to get more, but the one I've got is the only one I've ever seen in my regular LFSes. I should probably just give in and get an astrea or two, but I had hoped to stick with smaller snails. Oh well, stand by what works, I suppose.

Everyone, thanks for the input.

Matthew

Matt, It is good to "see" you!

That certain store sure does push the margarita snails. Of the six I purchased today 5 look ok, one is dropping off the glass already. The turbos are still grazing like crazy, the glass in the 20 is looking much better. That store also has given me empty hermit shells twice. THREE of the four "hermits" I got today were just empty shells. Last time it was FOUR for FOUR. They have great prices but not for empty shells!

Archived