Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lights off for hair algae?

Tivoboy

I've been fighting with green hair algae for quite some time now with not much luck. So far I've just been pulling out as much as I can and doing water changes.

If I turn off the lights as I've read in some other posts, how long would I need to leave them off to kill the hair algae? Would this harm my mushrooms or star polyps?

Thanks for any suggestions

BTW - I also have a wiry red algae that is spreading, but not as much of a nuisance as the hair algae - yet.

...leaving lights off in a reef tank with corals can be harmful..

...pulling them off will just cause them to spread...

i have heard that certain typs of medication can remove them, but i think that it will just cause more problems for your tank..

if you have a good amount of cleaning critters, they should help getting rid of them..

i have also heard that adding caulerpa will help, because it will compete with the hair algea for nutrients and such...

JMO.. mike

and also, IMO, lowering the time cycle of light would only help temporarily, but not long term, because any unwanted algea can feed themselvelve or regenerate with just a lil amount of light

While I was on vacation, my light timer failed, and the lgihts were out for at least 5 days.

My xenia nearly bit it (although the stars and torch all still seemed fine), but the various types of algae I'm fighting, including green hair, didn't seem the least bit effected.

It probably stopped them from growing during that time, but it surely didn't help in killing them.

Best way to get rid of them is to get hermits and other such critters to eat them. For some reason in my tank the hair algae just disappeard after many weeks.

I guess once excess nutrients are taken care of, they will disappear. Its quite common on fresh tanks.

I have also noticed that where corallin algae is prevailant, nuisance algae doesnt get a chance to establish.

Attempt at reducing the nutrient levels, increase coralline growth and introduce vegetation grazers--appropriate snails, hermits etc etc.

Hope this helps.

leaving the lights off wil create havoc with o2 levels and your ph.

Also the Algae as it dies re releases the nutrients as well as toxins in the water. U DO NOT WANT THE ENTIRE BATCH to crash at the same time. Try Using RODI water and a good grade salt like Tropic Marin Or GEO. they have more ballanced ingredients.

Also how big is the tank? If u add fish U are adding to nutrients.

U just need to keep pruning it out untill it burns out, or add enough nutrient consumers that the algae gets out competed.

I had a horrible case of it. I keft my light on all the time, and pruned it as fast as it would gro in clumps 3 times a week. After 3 weeks, the animals ate it all and it was history. U could use some Royal urchins(tuxedo) Scats, Algae Blennies, Sailfin mollies, Nudibranch, and Sailfin tangs. Also some damzels like to rip it up for fun.

....... To bad there isnt a Salt water Plecostomus...........

Archived