Coral Vue Hydros

Am I A Cheato Moron?

crombastic

crombastic

So, I've managed to successfully kill two clumps of cheato algae in the past month. I'm under the impression cheato should grow easily.

It's in the fuge of a 29 gallon biocube with a 15W PC light on it. The light period is about 9 hours from 11 pm till 8 am. Salinity is at about 1.024 and nitrates are at approximately 10. Another detail is that when water evaps it creates a somewhat harsh "waterfall" effect into the chamber. Could this disturb it enough to die off?

raise the water level up in the chamber so it is always soaking

increase the photoperiod to at least 12 hours if not 24

just a quick question, how long did it take for the chaeto to die once you had it set up in your tank?

cuz i have a clump of chaeto in my fuge but im not sure if its growing or dying haha

CrownOfficial

how did you kill it?

its almost impossible to kill.

give it some more light.

and submerge it.

danthenewreefman

More light more flow will help things, also spread it out into a thin bed so it all gets light...should float to the surface once its full of O2 bubbles after a day.

Light 24 hours if possible, does many good things...

i suggest ditching the PC light and just getting a 6500k CFL bulb and a clamp on fixture from Lowe's. Cheap, easy, and dramatically increased my chaeto growth to the point where i harvest every 2 weeks or so. i'm running a reverse lighting cycle with my display, which ends up being 12 hours.

edit: this is the light i'm talking about (notice chaeto growing up and out of the water!):

DSC_0008-2.jpg

I suggest a 3k 23watt CFL bulb and 16/day light. This is the best option IMO if you get too much standard algae perhaps a 6k.

chaeto gets better growth if you don't keep it on 24/7, but it wont die with the lights on

What kind of light cycle do you recommend John for best growth? I used to keep mine on for 24/7 and had great growth. About a month ago i changed to about 18 hours and have noticed it seems to be growing slower.

Something I was told by my LFS is that cheato needs are dependent on PO4 load. I know my PO4 is nearly 0 and I have a good slow growth. but that's in my 125g dt with a 65 watt cfl.

Archived