Coral Vue Hydros

tampa bay saltwter rock too dense?

Steve973

Hello all. I was in the IRC chat room last night, and everyone was very helpful there. Someone gave high recommendations for TBSaltwater's "package" deals, with LR, LS, and critters coming in separate shipments. The price and amount of stuff seems really great (even though shipping seems expensive, unless I pick it up a the airport) but people on the forms have complained that this live rock may be too dense to be as effective with filtration as other, more porous rock from other vendors. Does anyone have any opinions on this? It'd be really nice to be able to have 30 lbs of live rock, 15 lbs of live sand, and tons of critters for 200 bucks plus shipping. I'm looking at the 15 gallon package here.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions.

Steve

I've heard that.....but the amount of hitchhiker life that comes with it is supposed to kick ass! Maybe mix some Fiji LR is as a base rock.

i am not certain that 5-6 dollars a pound PLUS shipping is worth it compared to what you can pick out at your LFS for 7 dollars no shipping. yes you get some critters but how many of the larger ones are going to survive the cycle. PERHAPS with this package your cycle will be short and sweet but PERHAPS not.

all i am saying is to check out your LFS's and do the math. if you go the local route and pay slightly more (let's say 25-30) but get what you see it might be a better deal.

nalbar

It is very boulder-like, but still works perfectly fine for a filter.

There rock has tons of life on it (probably too much), but I don't like there packages, as they come with too many critters...30 blue legs. There live sand is more like Live pebbles/broken rock, so when placed with the rock and critters it looks more like a garbage dump reef :P

There rock is great and is loaded with life, sponges and coral. I've never seen LR in my LFS that looks even close to it. I would agree the live sand is crap, and I didnt place all the critters in my nano tank, I placed some in my 55 gal. I have an advantage that I live in Tampa and I can visit the store and hand pick the pieces. I take my time and get the best rock they have. With the shipping it maybe not the best deal, but if you are local it great.

Thanks for the input. Well, I think I'm going to get my live rock from dr mac. I've heard good things on the forum, and the price is right. since it's a new tank, I can buy the uncured stuff and save some money while getting good stuff.

Just my 2 cents. Don't know what the LFS's where you live are like, but I did my homework and realy looked around before I got the TBS stuff and I am glad I did. The LR that the LFS's have here is basically rock with maybe some coraline and that is about it. The TBS stuff has been in my tank 2 weeks and we are still finding at least a new feather duster everyday.

Anyway, hope your LFS's are better than mine or that dr. mac really hooks you up.

Take a look at this link. A guy posted his progress with a TBS package for a 30 gal setup on reef central.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=254435

Personally, I'm quite impressed and plan to use TBS for my 29 gal setup once all of my equipment arrives. I do agree the shipping is expensive though, and I plan to use their air freight shipping. I figure it's worth the drive to the airport for the savings and quality of rock.

Carl_in_Florida
Originally posted by Steve973

Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions.

Steve

This was not your main question but here is my opinion:

I used uncured gulf rock (not from tbs). I live in Florida so i did not think the shipment would be that traumatic. It was shipped one evening and i got it the next morning. While the rock looks good, I do not think i would go this route again.

1. If you decide to get uncured live rock, find out what it takes to do a good curing process (rock scrubbing and the like). I never took my rock out to clean it so my tank is still littered with the junk that died on the rock and fell off.

2. Decide ahead of time how are you going to manage the extreme phosphate, ammonia and nitrite spikes that are sure to ensue after the curing process begins. We are talking about a lot of dead stuff in your little tank that few cleanup crew critters will live through.

If you want rock with lots of diversity but will take more work to establish your tank, go for it!

I thought getting uncured rock was a jump start but really it means you will have to wait longer to start stocking your tank. I wish someone had told me.

I am not advising you not to go this route, just to be informed of what it means.

Yes, I don't mind being patient and waiting however long it takes for the uncured rock to cycle and become critter-friendly. I may do partial water changes as the levels of ammonia and nitrite spike to try to preserve life on the rock, if possible. Yes, I realize this will increase cycle/curing time, but that may be worth the effort. I plan on ordering my tank and lights on the 22nd of this month, and then ordering the rock a month later. I'm not normally an extremely patient person, but I don't mind, since I feel the patience will be worth the outcome in the long run. I forget if I mentioned it in a previous post, but my brother, a friend, and I will be ordering the 90 lb bulk shipment from dr mac and splitting the costs of getting that, so we'll all have 18 gal tanks and 30 lbs of live rock to arrange. I can't wait! (Even though I'm feeling patient as well)

Steve

The TBS package comes with a lot of things I don't use in a nano. Why not just buy their deco rock and add your own critters? (unless you really like mantis) :D

Archived