ReefCleaners.org

Oceanic Users....what do you do?

rnd4

My tank has been running with live rock for only 6 days, so I know this may be a little premature, but what do users of Oceanic salt do for pH/alk?

Using Salifert kits my pH comes in at about 7.7 and my alk at about 1.49 meq/L! I don't imagine those levels would be good for corals.

I understand the pH make fluctuate during the cycle, but it's my understanding that the alk won't?

Using Red Sea test kits my ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are all zooming upward (all read zero with R/O DI water and (R/O DI + salt) prior to adding live rock.

NaClCrocodile

Dunno about your readings, as I've never had issues from Oceanic, but check here if you look into a new salt.

franklypre

Honestly I use a cup of epsom, half a cup of pool calcium and usually two or three tablespoons of baking soda. I mix 44 gallons at a time. Here is a link to the calculator

calculator

My tank has been running with live rock for only 6 days, so I know this may be a little premature, but what do users of Oceanic salt do for pH/alk?

Using Salifert kits my pH comes in at about 7.7 and my alk at about 1.49 meq/L! I don't imagine those levels would be good for corals.

I understand the pH make fluctuate during the cycle, but it's my understanding that the alk won't?

Using Red Sea test kits my ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are all zooming upward (all read zero with R/O DI water and (R/O DI + salt) prior to adding live rock.

I've been having problems with Reef Crystals and my LFS recommended Oceanic as it mixes very well. What was the salinity after you've mixed the salt?

My salinity is 1.026 measured with a refractometer. When I measure Ca levels they're ~500 ppm. If my pH and alk levels stay at these levels once my cycle is complete would it be a bad idea to dose to raise them?

Archived