Pod Your Reef

lighting for a 20 gal H

Kassun

I just upgraded from a 11 gal via-aqua to a 20 gal H. I purchased a 20" coralife light 2 x 18 36W. I found a thread where ppl have been going to Home Depot or walmart and picking up these http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...hlight=Refugium

Since money is an issue is it possible to pick up a few of these fit them into a hood and suspend them over my tank next to my coralife strip light to increase my watts? They come with a 6500K bulb already and i could order an antic to put in the other one. I have space on top so that would bring me up to 72watts total.

Thanks,

Kassun

20 gal H

12 lbs LR

20 lbs LS

powersweep 200

ebo 100w

casade HOB filter w/sponge

coralife 24" light

candycane coral

sponge

finger leather

purple mushrooms

red mushrooms

hairy mushroom

button polyops

1 - nasa snail

1 - blue legged hermit

1 - red legged hermit

1 - scooter blenny

Kassun

With a tall tank you really do want to add more lighting to penetrate the depth of the tank and what you have on there now is the extreme minimum. Even adding two 13 watt bulbs still only gives you around 3.6 watts per gallon. Not nearly enough for a tall tank imo.

Why not diy a mh pendant. 150 watts 10k to go along with your 36 watt 50/50

I would have to agree with caja on this one.... youll be better off in the end if you DIY a nice 150 Metal halide to go along with your existing 36 watts of 50/50. That tall of a tank needs some lighting with some penetration power and even though PC lights are great the wattage you're suggesting just wont cut it for a 20H IMO.... particularily if you ever want to try your hand at SPS or clam keeping. You would do well not to skimp on the lighting from the start...believe me, I know....hehe. Good luck.

Note:

Now.... if all youll ever want to keep is zoanthids, mushrooms and low light animals I would say 72 watts of PC could handle it but if youre like me youll start out only wanting those kinds of critters till you see some of the nice SPS and clams tanks some of the folks around here have........ then its all over.

I have never looked at MH, where would you suggest shopping at? and if some one has a link to a DIY I would appreciate it, :)

Thanks for your time,

Kassun

Archived