Coral Vue Hydros

beginner coral researching

b_artman

hello all (again:))

so thanks to those who advised me on the cleanup crew. i now have 3 astreas working away and picking up a small turbo tomorrow as i slowly build up the crew over the next couple weeks.

however this post is about corals. beginner corals that is!

a local reefer is fragging out his zoos and i was thinking of picking up a small frag of 4-6 heads sometime this up coming week and try my hands at these little guys since ive had them in the plans all along. my water params are and have been steady for a good while now and i think maybe a small frag like this can be slipped in before i finish with the rest of the inhabitants. comments welcome about that as always.

the way the tank is setup is such that there is one 8 pound rock that is almost in the center, and has a strong current from the ac300 right on top of it, this rock is tall, reaching to about 2 inches below the surface. the smaller 5 pound rock is taking up the lower section of the aquarium on the right, and it is flatter, raching to just about the middle height of the tank, it has an acmini pouring over it, with obviously a much lower current. the tank is a 10 gallon. the lighting is now two 20 watt 50/50 caralife mini power compacts(the screw in style bulbs). so am i on the right track by thinking i can safely and resonsibly take care of these zoos?:) from the info article, i get the impression that i should be good to go. comments or suggestions?

thanks!

bart

I think you'll be okay, just start with some polyps, maybe one to two pieces a week. Don't add too much stuff at once, I know its hard, just to make sure nothing goes out of wack.

yeah i deffinetly dont want to go and add too much right away, hence i was a little apprehensive and unsure. if all goes well, i will be picking up a small batch tomorrow and have it prosper.

I have to agree, the difficult part is controlling yourself when getting new frags. But the polyps are definitely perfect for starters. Just control that inner demon and take the stocking slowly.

Archived