Pod Your Reef

white is growing around my zoa?

porksoda

What is this white-ish fluffy stuff growing around each zoa head? I just noticed it today.

When they are open you cannot see it but when they close it looks like this:

2010-05-03231100.jpg

I also forgot to add that I touched it with my finger and it feels like the actual coral. Could it just be the coral? Or algae?

What is this white-ish fluffy stuff growing around each zoa head? I just noticed it today.

2010-05-03231100.jpg

I also forgot to add that I touched it with my finger and it feels like the actual coral. Could it just be the coral? Or algae?

maybe a sponge?

So long as they can still open fully, I would agree it's a sponge. If their health is affected, well then it's probably a fungus.

So long as they can still open fully, I would agree it's a sponge. If their health is affected, well then it's probably a fungus.

So its probably a sponge then. They open fully everyday. I just touched them today and they closed then I noticed the white.

it looks like a spunge get it off it will cover it and kill it

it will come off easy

Do I just pull it off?

How do I go about removing it?

i would use my fingers it will come right off

yeah you should be able to just rub it off.

Thats what she said.

my zoas have this also, big time. will it eventually hurt them?

I believe it's hurting them now, not allowing full extension and growth. I've never allowed the sponge over populate the zoas, but I assume it'll eventually suffacate it to death.

I pulled off almost all of it last night. I am suprised on how much I actually pulled off.

What was weird!

Archived