Coral Vue Hydros

20 long vs 29 for nano set up?

airangel

Hi... job change has caused me to have to redo the fish room (now office)...currently have both 20g long and 29g tanks in there (fw in 29g, turtle in 20long). Want to keep ONE tank for future use as nano as I already have a CF light and legs that will fit either tank (as well as skimmer and other hardware needed).

Between the two tanks, which could be the best for a nano tank or just a FOWLR set up?

Appreciate any input. Thanks

Ellen in Tucson

I think the 20G Long would be better for fish FOWLR, larger water surface. If you want a nano the 29G would look better for aquascaping...but then again that's a matter of preference.

Ok, what is general consensus on those cube type tanks, saw an Oceanic 30g cube and also a 37g not quite cube, stand sold separately. Not 100% sure yet on what I would use the tank for (20Long, 29g, 30g cube or 37g)....but the Oceanics would fit in the space I have very nicely. These tanks are taller than long, so obviously not a lot of swimming space but I would not want a lot of fish anyway, perhaps no more than 3 small ones and some shrimp/snails and perhaps some hard to kill corals on the LR.

Am sure would have to ditch the light it comes with and get something else but right now wondering on the tank itself, between the Oceanic and the 20Long or 29g. I suppose whatever I end up with will work out somehow or other, just wondering on what others who are more experienced with marine/reef/salt set ups think.

Originally was planning to grab a JBJ Nano Cube (12g is it? ).....

Thanks

Ellen

cubes are, generally speaking, harder to work with. most tanks look better when they are 'long', giving a better viewing area. but there are some absolutely terrific cubes on this site.

nalbar

chronicles..

the lite I have at present (in closet, never used) would fit on either the 20 long or the 29g...its an Aqualight 2-65 watt bulbs and the legs to go with it.

The other tank I am eyeballing (sell my set up and get new deal) is Oceanic's 30 g cube or 37g show with the stand. Light on that is a single 15 watt strip.

Ellen

cuteios....

My thoughts as I was eyeballing both those tanks. Could it be done I wonder? Does someone make a light strip which would fit the tank? I am not the DIY kind.

Other than the sheer cost of the Oceanic set up, it would be best for me to stick with my 29g or 20 long since I have the correct lighting for it (or shall we say, a better light than the set up comes with).

Figured to post before I did anything radical and I do have a pair of 29s and the 20 long already. Just wanted to gain more room space in an already packed room.

Thanks for your thoughts

Ellen

Just my personal preference again, the taller 29G would look good since I find the taller rock formations look better. Just the way that I feel though.

Thanks all. Decided to actually sell the 20 long (and the turtle set up) and will use a 29g as I like the height of the 29g on my stand. Not sure when this will be set up salt but eyeballing the JBJ cube for the mini reef very soon. Thought about the mini bow but I think it would be too problematic for me to revise it, not handy at all.

Ellen

I say the 20L was a better choice because the lighting you have best fits the 20L and not the 29 since PC's don't penetrate the deeper waters of a 29 as well as the more shallow 20L waters.

thanks sting & wingsfan for your 20 long advice. Actually got the Petsmart All glass geneva tank/stand set up which is a 29g. Selling my pair of oak 29s and the turtle in the 20 long black top fin tank.

I can come up with a lot of reasons to have used the 20 long, freshwater and salt but the 29g won out.

Eventually will post pics if it ever gets to be a nano tank.

Ellen

Archived