Top Shelf Aquatics

Brown slime all over

Dani3d

Hi,

I started a 70 gallons 6 weeks ago and I have this strange brown slime building up on the tip of pretty much everything that is in the strong current. I don't see it where it is gently flow but it build up especialy in strong current creating a filament of brown slime that detatch easily if I toutch it. This morning it was full in my 2 Koralia pump! It seem to like strong flow the most so I guess it cannot be cyanobacteria?

I do not have brown algae in the sand either. I do have green algae building up very fast on my glass. Like when I clean the glass in the morning, it is full of green algae in the afternoon. That I don't mind but it's the brown slime that bother me. Anyone know what it is? I could not find any pic of that on the web either so that's wierd! All my coral look good and seem healthy, as well as my anemone.

I did a 20% water change yesterday and this morning this thing was worse, covering most of the Koralia pumps. If I stop the pump and restart it, the stuff detatch and float as some mucus or slime in the water.

Phosphates at 0, nitrates 2ppm (bearely detectible), calcium 420, Mg 1350, Kh9.

I have never seen anything like that when I started my 20 gallons nano!

Bingo! that's exactly what I have. Now I am going to read how to get rid of it.

Thanks a lot!

Here is a pic that show what they look like, so not sure this is a toxic specie but that's what they look like when I look with the microscope. Can anyone tell me if this is a toxic specie or not?

intrologo.gif

Did you google dinoflagellates ?

Take a look at this link and see if it looks like your slimmy stuff.

http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70452

• 2 weeks later...
Bingo! that's exactly what I have. Now I am going to read how to get rid of it.

Thanks a lot!

Here is a pic that show what they look like, so not sure this is a toxic specie but that's what they look like when I look with the microscope. Can anyone tell me if this is a toxic specie or not?

intrologo.gif

were talking about this junk now in pest area.

I recently had an outbreak. Raising my ph seems to have cleared it up - hopefully permanently.

There is not much Dino info out there.

Archived