Pod Your Reef

Questions about KH

Bill Nye

I just tested for KH and calcium for the first time today. I have API test kits for everything but Mag and here are my results.

Temp - 77-78

Salinity - 1.025

pH - 8.3 ish (was between 8.2 - 8.4)

ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 360

kH - 12

phosphate - .5 - 1 (this one is kinda hard to read imo)

I use Instant ocean salt due to a mix up when ordering. Ordered reef crystals got regular IO :angry: . My question is why is my kH so high? I havent done a water change so far and dont dose anything. Is there anything I can do to lower this or will it be ok at 12? I have read people say water change will lower it but it must be my salt that makes it so high cause nothing else was added to the tank.

Thanks for the help.

Instant Ocean salt mix naturally has high alkalinity (kH), 11-12 is what a fresh batch is usually at. Its normal for that salt mix. You'll be ok, don't mess with it unless you really have to.

What do you have in your tank? Your calcium is low. I would start dosing Ca to even out the levels. Here is a good article on the relationship between Ca and KH

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/.

It also might be a good idea to have a LFS test your water to compare your kit with another.

As of now I just have a clean up crew. Should I use a 2 part and dose both together even though my kH is high?

As of now I just have a clean up crew. Should I use a 2 part and dose both together even though my kH is high?

You won't need to dose until you have corals or if you want coralline to grow faster. Instant Ocean is a good salt for fish only systems or for people that want a base salt mix and add in their own supplements. Your parameters are fine as they are now since you only have a CUC. 360 Calcium is normal for Instant Ocean salt mix.

If you are planning to dose a 2 part solution anyway, you do not need to dose both, you can dose just the alk or the calc to raise one at a time.. but never at the same time. If you plan to dose, make sure you follow a reef dosing calculator based on your water volume and not the label on the bottle. Remember that your water volume is a lot less because of the substrate, live rocks and other equipment in the tank, plus the manufacturer lists the gallons of the tank when its filled to the rim.

Calcium you can dose any time of the day and since your alk is already high, you can skip that, but if you ever need to dose it in the future, it should be done in the morning or late nights when the lights are off so you don't spike your pH.

You won't need to dose until you have corals or if you want coralline to grow faster. Instant Ocean is a good salt for fish only systems or for people that want a base salt mix and add in their own supplements. Your parameters are fine as they are now since you only have a CUC. 360 Calcium is normal for Instant Ocean salt mix.

If you are planning to dose a 2 part solution anyway, you do not need to dose both, you can dose just the alk or the calc to raise one at a time.. but never at the same time. If you plan to dose, make sure you follow a reef dosing calculator based on your water volume and not the label on the bottle. Remember that your water volume is a lot less because of the substrate, live rocks and other equipment in the tank, plus the manufacturer lists the gallons of the tank when its filled to the rim.

Calcium you can dose any time of the day and since your alk is already high, you can skip that, but if you ever need to dose it in the future, it should be done in the morning or late nights when the lights are off so you don't spike your pH.

Thanks for the info! I just went to a LFS to pick up some B-ionic cause I hear thats the best kind but they only had kents, seachem and aquavitro. So im probably gonna order some off marinedepot or something. I also picked up a 5 oz half unit of chemipure elite to take care of my phosphate problem.

LiveBrock
Thanks for the info! I just went to a LFS to pick up some B-ionic cause I hear thats the best kind but they only had kents, seachem and aquavitro. So im probably gonna order some off marinedepot or something. I also picked up a 5 oz half unit of chemipure elite to take care of my phosphate problem.

i use aquavitro and my kh is solid as a rock along with ph all i do is test for kh when its low i dose keeps ph 8.4

lakshwadeep

Don't use aquavitro's "eight.four", an alkalinity supplement, to somehow lower alkalinity. That would likely lead to precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Archived