inTank Media Baskets

Glass drilling Question

Djm9288

Now im thinking about drilling my 10g nano. Could Some one ewxplain how I should do it, what kind of drill bit to use and how high up t oput the bulkhead(I want it on the back, not the bottom.

Thanks

Daniel

try to get a lfs or a glass house to do it. even the lfs that did my refugium (10g) said that the 10g is the absolute minimum size (glass thickness) he does and guarantees. they do this for a livelihood and still have problems. see if you can get a guarantee for the drilling (usually reserved for a new purchase though). good luck!

Christopher Marks

You will want to drill for the bulk head as high up on the tank wall as possible. If you are only going to drill one hole, you're best off taking the tank to a glass shop and having them drill it.

yeah i want to drill only one hole, but i dont know if my glass can be, Its an AGA 10g, Is that tempered? or not. Im just wanting one hole.

DAniel

So your positive. I called a couple dealers and they said it was, oh well i can trust you, just want to make sure/

Daniel

okay thanks. Im goin to get the glass drilled up as high as I can. How do you regulate how much flows down? A ball valve?

Daniel

Christopher Marks

That's the bulkhead you'll want to use...probably a 1" one. As far as regulating how much water it takes out...it will only remove as much water as is pumped back into the tank from the sump (within reason. It would back up if it was 1000 gph, but less than that it'd be fine)

I say 21 inch below the Plastic lip on the outer edge. SEAL TEH ENTIRE TOP LIP OF THE TANK... with AQ silicone.....

BUT Im just making the hood.... HAHAHAH (in progress dan..):P

i think i understand what you're asking. will the water overflow your bulkhead and will there be some 'gurgling' noise as it goes thru?

like chris said, it should handle what you pump in and not overflow. if you want to play safe (i always do) just make sure the bulkhead is larger in diameter (and the outflow piping) to your inflow's diameter.

there will be some noise. you can try an air hose to bleed out the air bubbling (never works for me) or a durso inlet. rich durso came up with an patented idea to reduce sump drain noise to a muffle. i've forgotten his site but i'm sure it'll come up under a search. he also posts (rarely) at reef central.

if these weren't what you were talking about, nevermind :blush:

just drill the sonofa! :P

Archived