Top Shelf Aquatics

Calling all Mr. Aqua Owners!

andrewguilfoy

gulfsurfer101

Here's pics of my 12'' cube the way it was set up before I used it to house a dwarf octopus.

tinytanknkiddos011.jpg

tinytanknkiddos2003-1.jpg

tinytanknkiddos2008-1.jpg

octo house

delete010.jpg

delete008.jpg

gulfsurfer101

It was that close to edge and I used a glass lid to cut to size not seen here to keep him in the tank after escaping once. I have since reworked it to lower the level by 3/4" though. The tank is sitting empty atm and I don't know what direction I'm going to go with it.

whats the benefit of the overflow box? Im going to drill my tank i just don't know if i want the overflow box.. i was just thinking of a little 90 from the bulkhead...
Splinter is correct, it a surface skimmer, but so would an elbow or even a strainer.

fittings_slip_overflow_strainer.jpg

An upward facing elbow would have a linear surface equal to the inner diameter of the fixture times pi. A horizontal strainer would provide a surface area of no greater than the inner diameter of the drain (assuming the water level was at the widest point). While the linear surface of an overflow box can be larger.

Traditionally overflow boxes went all the way down to the bottom of the tank and hid the drain standpipe and return pipes (in tanks that had the bottom drilled). The Glass-Holes overflow boxes are designed for an external drain pipe (for tanks that have their back drilled). An external Durso Standpipe will help keep it more silent.

vikingranger05

Thank you.. I think I am going to go with just a strainer... I like the look I feel its a little more stealth than the glass holes overflow..

IMG_3685.jpg

here's my update, yes it is exactly the same still and unhappy about it. im just very busy and haven't had time for it yet. i think i'll buy my AI controller soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
vikingranger05

Bump any update on tanks.... Question... I will be drilling my 33.6 Mr. Aqua soon and setting up a sump i was looking at getting a eshopps sump the rs-100 would that be sufficent enough for this tank.. or any other recomendations on a good sump would like to have a small space for a fuge i know i can do a diy but with full time work no time. Thank you in advcance cant wait to get some pics and join the Mr. Aqua club!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived