SaltCritters.com

PC + MH FNG question

SDMike

All right guys, here I go: I'm about to go buy a Coralife PC setup (130w) for my 29gal "soon to be a reef" tank.

How the heck can I make this AND a MH work? I'm planning on building a canopy for the whole shootin' match, but just got a case of the "cluelessnesses!"

I've been floating (lurking) on reef central for a few weeks, but just got here...

Help!

Mike

Buying coralife? Might as well shoot yourself in the foot. Get some quality stuff and you will be happy and thank yourself later.

You don't need PC and MH. You can get a nice MH setup with the color you want and everything in your tank will be just as happy if not happier. PC's are over rated junk and good only for smaller tanks. The cost/opperation ratio on them is horrible.

A 150/250 over a 29 will look great. Initial investment is always a bummer, but thats with anything. Long term cost is much cheaper as your paying at most 100 bux a year for a new halide bulb. If you buy quality products that have warranties of 2-4 years, thats another worry free item to be proud of.

To keep things simple, sleek and carefree - do it pendant style. No need to build anything. Or if you can't do a pendant, do an open top with the hood that has legs. Something like you see from PSL (pet supply liquidators). Some hatem, some don't. I had my bouts but they took care of me.

Have fun.

I agree with AbsoluTc, on a 29, might as well just get a pendant with either a 150 or 150 watt halide in it. If you want actinics, you could build a hood with a couple DIY kits for 36watt, or even a single 65watt actinic...but be sure to vent that hood well with some fans. such kits can be found many places, but ahsupply or hellolights are the first two that come to mind...

Archived