SaltCritters.com

marine buffer?

aqua_aaron

I was given some Marine Buffer by Seachem and was wondering if it was any good. It says it contains magnesium, calcium, and strontium and will raise the pH to 8.3 (which I do need to raise my pH) Would it benifit my tank?

Thanks

aqua_aaron

PS If not, what is recommended for raising pH?

Follow the directions! I added "alittle" too much and it crashed my system (basically got a calcium pptn on everything).

I use a splash every couple of days and my Alk states fairly constant.

I use the seachem reef builder. From my understanding, it raises your KH/alk levels without affecting pH. I've had good luck with it so far, finally getting my KH to 4.6 mEq/L, it was really low before that. Don't need to raise my pH, b/c mixing my IO salt with thr RO/DI I get already raises it to 8.3!

Just my .02....

Aparently the powder and liquid are 2 different things. The liquid says this:

"Liquid Marine Buffer™ will safely raise marine pH to 8.3 while adjusting alkalinity. It will not raise pH above 8.3 even if inadvertently overdosed. Liquid Marine Buffer™ contains a balanced blend of bicarbonate, carbonate and borate salts designed to raise pH and restore disrupted buffer systems to the proper balance. Use Seachem’s MultiTest: Marine pH & Alkalinity™ to check pH and total alkalinity."

The powdered does not....may want to go with the liquid.

Archived