Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First KH test good or bad?

71GTO

I finally picked up an API Carbonate Hardness test kit. I just wanted to check to see if I did it right and if I need to change any thing. The lights were on for a few hours before I did it. I tested it right after a few gallon water change. I used 8 drops, so that should be 244.2 ppm. Is that ok? ALso, I just wanted to double check the guy at the LFS told me that the carbonate test is the same as testing for Alkalinity, is that true? My PH is usually 8.2-8.4. Is there anything I need to do?

I finally picked up an API Carbonate Hardness test kit. I just wanted to check to see if I did it right and if I need to change any thing. The lights were on for a few hours before I did it. I tested it right after a few gallon water change. I used 8 drops, so that should be 244.2 ppm. Is that ok? ALso, I just wanted to double check the guy at the LFS told me that the carbonate test is the same as testing for Alkalinity, is that true? My PH is usually 8.2-8.4. Is there anything I need to do?

If you're using the API KH kit, then 8 drops is 8 dkh which is in the normal ranges. Where are you getting 244.2 ppm from? 244.2 ppm alkalinity would equal to around 13 dkh which is kind of high but should drop on it's own. What salt mix are you using and at what salinity?

Sorry, that should be 144.2. I guess I hit 2 by accident. I am using coralife salt I try to keep it at 1.025

Archived