ReefCleaners.org

Adjust Salinity or Leave It Be?

meganistkrieg

meganistkrieg

Not sure how this happened as I'm neurotic about making sure my SG is the same in the new water and old water, but today after doing a water change, I checked the SG of my tank and it was at 1.026 instead of its usual 1.025. Nothing in the tank (some softies, two clowns, cleaner shrimp, tux urchin, emerald mithrax) seems to be bothered by it, honestly, but I'm a worrier.

Should I lower the salinity, and if so, how long should I take to do it (going one cup out of tank water and one cup in of distilled) or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks for any help! :o

c_k_kuehne

Basically just leave it. You could lower it over time a little with each wc until you get back to 1.025 if you wanted.

youincolor

I wouldn't worry too much about 1.026. You could just skim wet for awhile, or do your idea of one cup out/in. I've done that before with no problem.

yeah, i wouldn't worry about it either. depending on how your measuring sg, there isn't much difference between 1.025 and 1.026 ! :lol:

meganistkrieg

Okay, great! I figured if nothing in the tank seems adversely affected, I probably shouldn't mess with it too much, but I'm a control freak. :lol: Thanks for the peace of mind, everyone!

Archived