Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MH on 12 gallon Eclipse

oceanman

Does anyone have a MH on a 12 gallon ecplise. I have the retrofit 32w lightd on there right now but i am having problems with heat. I want to purchase a Mh and need some help

Ummmm... if you're having problems with a retrofit 32w PC because of heat... why would you want to go with a mh? If you are planning to design your own hood, then you might be able to do it quite well, but if you're gonna try to retrofit the mh into the eclipse hood, you're just gonna get more heat issues. I would look in the DIY section to see some of the hoods that have been written up and start on a design.

-q

Originally posted by qfour20

but if you're gonna try to retrofit the mh into the eclipse hood, you're just gonna get more heat issues.  

Actualy he'd have melting plastic fire type issues : X)

Hey there...

I too, have an Eclipse 12, and I just added some lights last night. I was looking online at buying a retrofit PC, and after reading for a few hours, realized that I have an unused JBJ Clamp-On light that used to be on the sump of my larger tank. I took apart the light and was able to pull out the reflector (with built-in clips to hold the bulb). I screwed that into the hood of my Eclipse and I am somewhat happy.

The problem... We always want as much light as possible. I was considering getting a MH for my system, but I am concerned about the heat. I do NOT want to build a custom hood, as I am very happy with the clean look of the hood that comes with the Eclipse.

That being said, I would like to see this thread continue and have anybody who has worked with an Eclipse Twelve to give us their two cents. I really want to put in a MH (possibly in combination with the existing 36-watt PC). What does everybody out there think?

Of course I would find some way to add a WHOLE LOT of air circulation around the bulb(s). Can I possibly get enough air, or is this wish impossible?

-Scott

P.S. - If I remember, I will take and post a picture of the current setup when I get home tonight.

Ummm. Somebody post the pic of the melted eclipse tank, cause I can't find it.

You guys need to go into your LFS, find a running MH setup, and stick your hand on the bulb. Then you will know why you shouldn't cram it into the eclipse system 12 hood.

Besides, no matter what bulb you put in there, it WILL be too close to the water and it will get splashed and pop.

Archived