Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 Gallon Nanocube vs. Biocube

nanew reefer

AIO Preference  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which AIO is better suited for DIY retro?

• BC29
    • JBJ NC 28

nanew reefer
Yeah, the new versions has the "built in" fish guard as well as the black "paint" removed behind chamber 2 so you can use an external light for a fuge...

mine did not have the one piece fish guard, but did have the back window cut out, which I might add is in the wrong spot in retrospect to stevieT's media rack, as the widnow will allow exterior illumination of the floss/chemipure/phosbane rack and not so much the chaeto rack. Im sure i can fix this with no problem with some scraping and taping, but again , just relating my experience.

i would say if you are getting a new BioCube, make sure the fishguard is included to know if you are getting a good recent model! :o

mine did not have the one piece fish guard, but did have the back window cut out, which I might add is in the wrong spot in retrospect to stevieT's media rack, as the widnow will allow exterior illumination of the floss/chemipure/phosbane rack and not so much the chaeto rack. Im sure i can fix this with no problem with some scraping and taping, but again , just relating my experience.

i would say if you are getting a new BioCube, make sure the fishguard is included to know if you are getting a good recent model! :o

Can you change the order of your stuff around so that the chaeto is in the right position? I'm assuming that the chaeto is either to high or low relative to the window? I've never used the rack, so I'm not quite sure where it is...

nanew reefer
Can you change the order of your stuff around so that the chaeto is in the right position? I'm assuming that the chaeto is either to high or low relative to the window? I've never used the rack, so I'm not quite sure where it is...

Not so much, because the way stevieT has his media rack configured to catch the flow from chamber 1, the window lies mostly where the media rack is (floss, chemi, puri), not the chaeto ball rack is. let me draw it up really quick:

bc29.jpg

check it out

Again in my opinion, this window defeats the purpose of having the AIO look. With the dual submersible refugium lights available to stick directly in the ball, you can potentially have no light emanating from the unit at night time. the NC28 has no top at all over the refugium, its hood only covers the display section of the tank. Achieving light isolation would be very difficult. If you wanted to stick with the DIY exterior lighting approach with the BC29, you will have to modify the window location to accommodate the inTank design.

nanew reefer

the replacement hood MD sent had corrosion and pitting on all the electric contacts, and in general was in very very rough shape.

MD is now sending out a whole new tank.. lets hope this one has a fish saver so I know its new.

nanew reefer

the latest replacement tank has arrived. Once I opened it I could tell that it was in new shape as it was not upside down. A quick test of the fit of the hood and the led moonlights showed nice even coverage and a nice seat on the tank. this is important so no excess light leaks at the seams or excess evaporation occurs. the new tank did have a scratch, and some broken plastic edging, so i will opt to keep the first tank which i've combed over and leak tested already.

unfortunately, the new tank did not have the fish saver either.

i hope i've been able to help others make a decision. I feel the topic of the poll should stand, as it was my intent to retrofit an AIO without sacrificing any of the stock look. both brands have their merits, the NC seemingly offering more pump for your buck, and the NC LED model, but the BC has the large refugium in the back, and a hood covering the entire top...

I'm retiring this user name, but will continue to watch this thread in case someone has any questions.

Next time, skip Marine Depot for handling any problems and contact Oceanic directly. They have always taken care of my for any issues I've had. That includes replacement tanks...

Coraline Kati
I'm retiring this user name, but will continue to watch this thread in case someone has any questions.

We'll look forward to seeing your project under a new name. You should probably buy your girlfriend a nice camera so she can document your progress.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived