Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pilg0re's 10 gallons mixed reef of awesomeness!

Pilg0re

Yeah, I wanted flexibility with what I could keep and where I could put it. I haven't had anything brown out including zoas, so it's not too intense.

Picked up a new frag today!

ORA Joe the Coral!!

DSC01751.jpg

And a really bad pic of some zoas that haven't fully opened yet. Not sure what they are but I haven't checked zoaid yet.

DSC01749.jpg

• 1 month later...
It looks fine and I think you are doing the best thing in stocking it slow with corals and livestock.

Not really my intention, I'm definitely at my fish limit though. I'm just too poor to buy huge colonies of corals ( :( ) so I just let them grow out and it takes awhile. I like to think I have a nice variety of corals though even if there aren't a million polyps of each one.

I'm away from home anyways, and my dad thankfully has happily taken on the responsibility of bi-weekly water changes.

I've been gone for over a month now so I'm really eager to come home to see how much everything has grown.

Plus, it makes to easy to stock my new pico after I go home!

Shameless plug for my picotope!

youre doing much better than me. I am not even 3 months into my 10 gallon and already i could not resist 2 clowns, and $150 worth of coral frags. my tank is now loaded with frags, and i bet I'm going for a tank crash real soon lol. Youre doing everything patiently and correctly. A good way to avoid algae domination.

lol! Don't worry I just didn't say all the dumb stuff I did in this thread lol.

I bought 2 baby clowns like 3 weeks into the tank (my rock was cured so I never really saw a spike)

I then a few weeks later I added a mandarinand I freaked out because it wasn't eating so I polluted my tank trying to feed it because the LFS which is now closed and said it was eating frozen and it wasn't.

Traded it in for a pair of firefish (fine for awhile then one jumped)

Now I have the 2 clowns and 1 firefish, which I think is a fine bioload.

I always offset my bioload with a crap-ton of Seagel and bi-weekly 1 gallon water changes.

Also, my first real amount of corals was a huge pack from mr.coral.

Luckily corals don't really add bioload so you should be fine on that front.

they don't add directly, but remember they are still animals, and all animals make metabolic waste ;P Thats where water changes really help.

Anyway that does sound like a tank full of first-hand experience fun :P

Has this tank ever experienced an algae bloom of any sort?

Ohh yeah!

I swear I had dinos the bubbles and all (now I learned it was most likely a form of cyano)

It was because I fed the tank way too much (the mandarin and I also tried feeding the coral)

The way I fixed it was I constantly blasted off everything, a ton of phosphate remover, lots of water changes and I stopped feeding the corals.

And then all of a sudden it went away.

Also before I had a tank leak I had a sand bed and I had GHA growing on it, but when I went BB it magically disappeared inside my tank. I have stuff growing in my AC70 now, but that's the point of a refugium: create a better place for the algae to grow than inside your tank.

I also run my fuge lights 24/7 and not on a reverse cycle.

oh ok, i was wondering if there are any ill effects to running it 24/7. I would test this but my fuge light recently died >_<

I currently have cyano in my tank, wondering if I am feeding my clownfish too much. how frequently do you feed yours? I feed my clowns everyday once except for mondays and I feed my peppermint shrimp 3 times a week with one shrimp pellet. I cant figure out where i can cut back...on the clowns? do you feed yours every other day maybe?

I feed my fish and my shrimp everyday I just make sure there is none left over when I do. I actually put the food in over my frogspawn so if it is about to fall to the bottom it just lands on it and the frogspawn eats it.

It was feeding my corals frozen food that screwed me over.

oh. well I am pretty sure all the flake and pellet i feed to the fish either gets eaten by the fish or w/e pods are in my tank. and the shrimp pellet only goes directly from tongs to the shrimp so no decaying food there...

I am hoping I'll conquer the cyano in my 10 gal soon, just like i've conquered it in my pico tank a few months back.

Yeah, it takes patience hard work.

Just for reference I only feed Hikari Marine S

I've read that flake food leaches flakes into the water.

Keep in mind I've only read that and have no actual personal experience with the matter.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

So sad to say this tank is slowly being taken out of commission. Not because it's hard to take care of anything, it's just im setting up my 75g sps tank and the 10g is on my bar and I'd like to use it for plants and stuff lol

As for the frags everything have really taken off. I don't have pics right now, but it's pretty cool!

Archived