SaltCritters.com

Dub's 40B Rig

EyDub03

Bad news. Our little anthias died today. I was trying to find a new home for her before this happened because I noticed the aggression while feeding on Monday but before I could get her into a temporary tank they had taken off her tail. The others began bullying her a lot over the past three days and last night they pinned her into a corner and bit off her tail fin. I then transferred her over to my old 20L so she could be alone to recuperate and she hovered in place in the 20L for awhile last night before I went to bed but this morning she had slowed down, stressed and exhausted with her missing tail fin and shredded dorsal fin. This afternoon she was dead. Just yesterday she was beautiful and healthy. Today beat up, shredded and dead. I'm bummed. My clownfish are real a-holes. I pretty much despise them. They attack everything except my hawkfish. They attack me. They attack my wife. They attacked our anthias to death. While the anthias was in there they tried to fight with our damsel but the damsel is a scrappy dude and there's no way they can catch him. Since the anthias left the tank things are calmer today. I think it was overcrowded. My own fault. I feel bad. My wife is gonna freak out when she gets home from work. Absolutely no more fish will be added to this tank. I'm focusing on coral from here out. I'm in desperate need of frags. All of the algae is gone and the tank looks spotless. Coralline algae is starting to encrust on all of the rocks, the glass, and the foam wall. My mangroves are beginning to sprout leaves. I had to prune chaeto last night too. The tank is really doing well. I couldn't be more pleased except for what happened to our anthias. I'll post pics when I get frags.

Sorry for your lost. But, your tank is looking good. :)

You should go to Midwest Coral Farms for frags. Two weeks ago they where selling SPS frags for 5 for $25. But now their back to $20 for a SPS frag. They also have $10 frags. I got a really nice red flower pot for $10.

http://midwestcoralfarms.com/index.php

I was up there at the beginning of September to check it out but this tank had just running for a few weeks at the time. It's a trek and a half up there but I liked what they had going on and I plan to go back up there before Thanksgiving and snag several frags. I'm in Woodridge, where are you located? What other LFS do you frequent?

I picked up some corals yesterday at Midwest Coral Farms. I have two problems with this place, it's too far away and it's difficult to control myself when I'm in there. I saw at least 20-30 pieces I wanted but I left with only an orange plate, an all red blasto, two zoas (one orange and one pink) and a parazoanthus (yellow). Check 'em out and let me know what you think.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Top downs

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Thanks, I can't wait to buy more. Here's a little update.

FTS

IMG_0812.jpg

Clowns laid eggs again. This is the first time in the new tank. They picked a spot that I can actually see easily but it's dark so I had to use the flash.

IMG_0814.jpg

Thanks, I can't wait to buy more. Here's a little update.

FTS

IMG_0812.jpg

Clowns laid eggs again. This is the first time in the new tank. They picked a spot that I can actually see easily but it's dark so I had to use the flash.

IMG_0814.jpg

Cool!!!!! omgomgomg

I am going to Midwest Coral Farms on Friday to pick up my Melanurus wrasse. :)

They have a Facebook page to: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Highl...150103695009728

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile. Hopefully everyone had a Merry Christmas. I picked up some new things and thought it was time for an update. First, my clowns lay eggs all the time. It's a rarity that they are not guarding a clutch of eggs. Every time the eggs hatch new eggs are laid a couple days later. It's cool but it's annoying in that they become super territorial every hatch night and terrorize my starcki damsel. Next, I scored a MP10ES-W about a month back off eBay. Awesome price and it was local so I actually met the seller. Nice guy. I'm very happy with it. Nice gentle flow. It would be great to get another one in the future too and sync them. And finally for Christmas, my wife and her family were great in enabling my reef addiction. My wife got me a RKL and her parents got me a gift certificate to Midwest Coral Farms! I'm very lucky to have a supportive wife and great in-laws. I got the RKL set up and now my temperature issues have leveled off. For awhile I was getting odd random temperature spikes as high as 85F a couple times according to my old Coralife digital thermometer and I think this was the cause of my blasto meltdown. I thought my thermometer was shot but the water did feel warm. Now, the RKL keeps my Jager heater in check... 79.5 constant. The RKL reads 0.5F warmer than the Coralife. Yesterday, I couldn't take the gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket any more and I picked up new frags. 4 zoanthid colonies($10/ea), 4 ricordia($5/ea), 5 SPS frags for $20. Grand total $80 for 13 pieces. The SPS special was really cool 5 for $20 so it's a forgiving way to jump into SPS. I have about $120 more to spend on the tank what should I get? I thought about a BRS biopellet reactor, BRS GFO and Carbon reactors, SL1 with pH probe for the RKL, more coral, upgrading the bulbs since they're still the stock NEP bulbs. What would you do if you were me and why? Picture time, I feed my pigs a lot so there is some hair algae here and there but I don't think it's too bad. Post comments please (except about my crappy photography skills).

Vortech

IMG_0874.jpg

RKL

IMG_0878.jpg

Ricordia

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Zoanthids - Anybody know the names of these? One is a combo zoanthid/paly rock

IMG_0870.jpg

The other side

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

SPS - The first one has a some tissue recession on the right, I think I injured it while placing it. I'm gonna let it play out and in the words of Ivan Drago, "if he dies, he dies"

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

FTS

IMG_0872.jpg

Archived