inTank Media Baskets

Dosing with baking soda

matt frizz

Had my alk measured at the LFS and it was 3.6 and they said that >3.0 is desirable. I feel like 3.6 is kinda low still but I don't know what measurement it's in because they didn't list it on the paper. I'm noticing a couple different measurements for Alk.

What should my desired level be for alk? I was thinking in the 6 or 7's because I have some zoas that are closed up (also have a frogspawn, and pocillopora that are doing great) and I suspect either disease or alkalinity. I ordered some Furan-2 to dip them but I figured I might try raising alk in the meantime.

Some of my zoas are a little disfigured as well.

Magnesium levels are ideal along with calcium, phosphates, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salinity, and temperature stability. Just had everything checked at the LFS. Been trying to find out the problem for a while.

So what is my reading's measurement? Is it meq/L, ppm, or dKH?

disaster999

first off, what test kit are you using? it should show you what measurement you are reading. it is pretty hard to know what measurement you are reading. im guessing meq/l since a dkh of 3.6 is really low!

you want to aim your alkalinity level at around 7-10dkh, or 2.5-3.2meq/l. natrual ocean water is around 7-8dkh, but you want to give yourself some room so when it drops your still in the green.

what are your exact readings? hard to help you if you dont post those.

Ammonia:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate:0 pH: 8.2/8.3 Alk: 3.6meq/L SpG:1.025, Mg: was 1110 but I have since dosed the tank to 1300, Po4: 0, Calcium was 304 but I have dosed to the 450-500 ranges.

I don't think that the baking soda will be necessary. I do 5 gallon water changes every week anyways.

disaster999

yes, no need to dose anymore, all your parameters looks good.

i dont think your water is the source of the problem. zoas are weird sometimes. they will close up for no reason for a few weeks and open all of a sudden. just give it more time and wait for it to open

Archived