SaltCritters.com

Sporadic Dosing

kylegeorge

So I have a 25g and I've just recently started dosing two part to keep my levels up. As of today 4ML a day is keeping things nice and steady. Problem is I just started a new business and it's going to keep me away from home 3-4 days a week.

Is it better to...

Dose the morning I leave and the evening I return with only about 2 1/2 days going by with no additives?

Stop dosing altogether and try and do bigger water changes?

Use Kalk? I don't really know anything about it yet.

Personally I would automate it as much as possible, ie dosing pumps and a controller.

What are your parameters for one week?

for one week, in what are the fluctuations for one week? Or, what are the levels consistently?

PH is steady 8.2

Calcium 400-440

DKH 9-10

this is what I see whenever I test now. As the stoney collection grew it got to where I couldn't get the calcium above 340-360. That's when I started with the two part since it seemed the easiest way to dose.

skimlessinseattle
for one week, in what are the fluctuations for one week? Or, what are the levels consistently?

PH is steady 8.2

Calcium 400-440

DKH 9-10

this is what I see whenever I test now. As the stoney collection grew it got to where I couldn't get the calcium above 340-360. That's when I started with the two part since it seemed the easiest way to dose.

Seems like your levels are relatively balanced, so I think you could use kalk in your auto-topoff. You can only prepare one weeks worth of kalk at a time, but for that week, it's set and forget. This is my suggestion, and it's probably your cheapest/easiest option.

lakshwadeep

Yes. The "kalk" in kalkwasser stands for calcium; it's a solution of calcium hydroxide. The hydroxide (which will increase pH) quickly creates bicarbonate/carbonate ions (what you're measuring for dKH) because they are the most significant ions contributing to saltwater pH.

If you can't get a dosing system, using kalkwasser as part of a top-off system (which is nearly mandatory for an open top tank left alone for more than 2 days) would be useful in maintaining at least decent levels without much direct input.

Thanks guys. I do have an ATO already so I guess it's time to start researching the kalk. Isn't Mrs Wages Lime the same thing as kalk? We don't have anyplace local to get supplies but we do have a Walmart.

I vote for Mrs Wages lime too.

Been using it at a rate of 2tsp per gl of RO/DI top-off.

Only I would recommend a dosing pump that tops off at a drip rate instead of dumping a cup of top-off with an impeller driven pump.

I have been using kalk as the key component for keeping my tank stable.

Not a great pic but everything does grow well.

20longvid2682.jpg?t=1272800253

Has kept the alk from fluctuating. Stays at 3.5.

Also quit testing ph long ago. THe kal will help to keep it stable as long as it is added at a drip rate.

Just starting kalkwasser probably good to begin with 1tsp max. and allow the tank's chemistry to adjust slowly.

Certainly a subject that needs to be researched before-hand.

But kalk could quite easily carry a nano 3-4 days with a reliable top-off and reduced lighting it shouldn't be a worry.

A water change and reduced feeding before leaving sounds like it would help also.

And it is cheap too, just make sure you stock up before winter rolls around.

At least here, Walmart and most other places stop carrying it in the fall and the one place that does carry it sells it for about $7 a bag.

Archived