ReefCleaners.org

rock on tubes or on bottom

huari

I put my rock on the bottom then added sand. I have read that the sand may shift over time if you pile rock on top and topple your whole structure. Personnel choice I guess.

The powerhead is an Aquaclear 301 rated at 174 gal/hr. I was going for the Pacific Hurricane biotope. The extra rock would crash down shaking fear into the inhabitants mimicking the storm. Just kidding, the AC301 is a spare, I hope to get a minijet404 or 606. As for the rock, that was a mistake, I had 12lbs then bought 5.5 more since it looked sparse. now i guess i have to start another nano! Thanks for the advice, very beautiful tank too, Acoustic

i ended up taking out all the rocks, laying in the sand, then cutting the tubes and drilling holes in them for gas exchange then plopping them in a lagoon layout in the sand. I then spent fruitless time trying to arrange the rock on the tubes. Now some of the tubes don't have rock on them, defeating their structual purpose. after all these shananigans i should have just poured in the sand around the rock like Nalbar suggested. it was just that i was worried about some impending stink gas from dead areas in the future. lesson learned: experience is the best research.

Archived