Pod Your Reef

Taking the dive on Friday, Help Me!

Warboz

Ok, this is going to be lengthy post so if you read any of it and have any suggestions, please make them.

First of I'm glad I found this site about one year ago, I've been reading, and drooling, trying to figure out what would be best for me. Not doing much posting because I was trying to learn as much as possible.

I have done the research and I am in no hurry to be adding corals or fish to this tank until it has been set up for quite some time, anywhere from a month or 2 months. I don't want to take any drastic meseaures to mess this up so I am moving slow.

This is my potential setup:

7 Gal AGA Minibow

32w PC Retro Fit Lighting

50w Ebo Jager Heater

Minijet 404 PH

10-15 lbs. LR

10-15 lbs. LS

Salt, dont know which is best...?

Possible HOB Whisper Filter, no media, seems people with similar setups go for this, for water surface breaking? By breaking I mean not calm water.

I don't think there is anything I'm forgetting other then the SG meter/reader and testing kits.

My LPS has all of the above but I am concerned with the LR. It's cured and that's great and all, but I see little coraline growth on it and it looks bleach white or fairly white with little color. They're under MH lighting so I don't know if that means anything. Do you think after a little while they will develope coraline being so white? Does anyone have an example of not so colorful (healthy) LR that turned out ok? I am in and out of the house a lot during the day and delivery is a problem, and now that it is cold I don't want to risk a package outside.

Gameplan:

Friday: Goto LPS and go nuts and drop at least $200 haha. Setup tank, add RO water, add salt, balance out temp and SG. So then hopefully...

Sat: Pick up LR and LS. Add. Sit and stare at rocks and be ridiculed by all my friends haha.

Following this for the next month or so I was planning on not touching anything unless it was for a topoff or testing.

Sometime after a month and Am/Nitra/Nitri lvls off, I want to add some crabs/hermits if some interseting things don't come off the LR. Soon after they get settled in I would like to add a few small frags of easy corals, once they get set for a week or 2 I want to add a Perc or Osc. (GF likes Nemo...great...although I like Percs regardless of Disney characters) and possible a Yellow Watchman Goby. Too much of a bioload?

Going to need a bigger clean up crew with the new additions so add a skunk or sexy shrimp to clean up, maybe some snails, and or hermits. Any suggestions on good 7 gal clean up crews?

After this...experiment with some more corals and possible add a small clam if the lighting is sufficiant?

Like I said, I'm new I have a small understanding on whats going on from reading here for a while. I can recognize lots of things in the LFS and can't stand it anymore, I have to get my own. I'm a student so money is tight, and I intend on taking this step by step taking my time and HOPEFULLY no screwups or melt downs. Help me out in anyway or just a simple, good plan will do.

Thanks a Ton,

Kent

you do not mention upgrading your lighting. you certainly wont be able to keep a clam with stock lighting. plus you need an aged tank, at least six months for clams.

as far as the bleached live rock. if you are worried about it do not buy it. find another source. you say you are not in a hurry so why hurry on your rock? shop around. perhaps just buy a piece here and there if you cannot find enough good pieces in one place. that will extend your cycle but you say no hurry.

also the shrimp you name are NOT part of the clean up crew. they come later. after everything has stabilized.

nalbar

For filtration I'd use an Aquaclear. More room for media if you need it (carbon, cemi-pure, Phosban, etc.) Sorry, but you will NOT be able to keep a clam in that tank. They need MUCH more light. At least a 96 watt set-up or 70 watt MH. For additional clean-up guys try an emerald crab and different types of snails - astrea, nassarius, etc. I wouldn't buy a watchman goby... they hide a lot and you hardly ever see them. 2 fish in a 7g is pushing it, but if you want something in addition to the 'Perc you might consider a citron/yellow goby or a neon goby. Lots of personality and mine come out a lot. However, my citron likes to perch on corals and some don't like that (had to move my open brain to another tank). Just my .02. Good luck and nice going with all of the research.

The upgrade to my lighting will be a retro fit 32watt PC that many people use for Minibow 7's, I'm not 100% on the name right now...

Those media inserts for the filter, can you explain them in more detail? I havn't read anything about those or in situations where using media would be benificial, I always thought it was just for more water movement.

Yes, I know 2 fish is quite the bioload on a 7 but they would be very small to begin with and I have a 20H tank that I can switch the 7 to, or make a new one if things get too large. There is also a LFS I could take it to and sell if I had to.

When do you guys think it is a good time to add in a shrimp, only when you have added fish to equal out the bioload/clean up? Or would I put those in when I purchase hermits and snails for tank cleaning? I know this will be a widely opinionated question, but what do you guys think the best all around shrimp is? (Rock cleaning, Fish cleaning, Most Fun to watching, and Healthiest?)

Thanks a bunch,

Kent

the HOB filter is for water movement but some also use it to get out the 'wandering' debri that hangs in the water. i use pads of various sorts and change them FREQUENTLY. you add a shrimp AFTER your clean up crew has been at the tank awhile, lets say two weeks AFTER you have added snails. the snails are added AFTER your tank is cycled.

so lets say it goes like this (times may vary) month to cycle (depending on rock quality) then snails (and/or some hermits and emeralds) in. snails in two weeks for cleaning then shrimp/fish.

if i could add just one type of shrimp (being invert crazy i would never add just one type) it would be 3-4 sexy shrimp. no contest.

nalbar

I went and got my Minibow 7 yesterday and I was putting it together to stabalize temp and salinity and I ran into a problem. Heater is working great and PH is doing a great job...kicking up undissolved salt. I got Reef Crystals, it's make by Instant Ocean specifically for reef applications and for some reason I have perhaps a table spoon of undissolved salt on the bottom of my tank. I did a 1 Gal. Water change thinking that maybe I messed something up and starting over with a fresh gallon would make it disappear. It didn't and of course my SG dropped. I've tried stirring it forever, crushing it under my fingers to make it more fine to disolve, nothing is working. What's going on here?

Siphon it out? Ignore it?

Thanks,

Kent

Archived