Top Shelf Aquatics

Overstocking?

clownfish4

What is considered overstocking for a saltwater reef? I know that with freshwater, 2 inches per gallon is a good general rule of thumb. What is the rule of thumb with salt?

I have a 29g with 60 pounds of live sand (about 4 inches), 40 pounds of live rock, 65w daylight bulb, 65w acetnic bulb, one powerhead, and a 20g sump/fuge. The sump pumps back at 350 gallons per hour.

The 20g sump/fuge has 20 pounds of live sand (about 2 inches), 10 pounds of live rock, rubble, lots of macro, hang on bio wheel filter, hang on carbon filter, hang on skimmer, fluval canister filter, and a heater.

In my sump/fuge I have 2 damsels that were my first inhabitants used for cycling. I had to move them due to getting crhomis and didn't want to get rid of them because they are quite nice looking fish. I also have several snails and hermits and an anemone and a chocolate chip starfish.

In my 29g, I have an Ocellaris Clown, 4 blue/green chromis', spotted cardinal, fire shrimp, various corals, hermits, snails, emerald crabs, and a yellow tang. I know my tank is a little small for the tang, but he is very small. I rescued him and am currently looking for a new home for him.

I feed them live brine and spirulina flake food. I add B-Ionic everyday, calium hydroxide everyday, and phytoplankton every other day. Tank is about 4 months old. The tank also has a pretty high water flow. And I do monthly water changes with R/O water and top off with R/O water.

Water parameters:

amonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - close to zero

phosphate - 0

p.h. - 8.0

salinity - 1.025

temp - 78

alkalinity - 4.0

Is this considered overstocking? Everyone is doing well and look a lot better than they did when I first got them. Even the tang looks fantastic.

I think that if you are going to do a water change every other week then you should be fine. (that's 9 fish right?) Personally, even though they are pretty, I'd take the damsels back so you have a lower bio load. Otherwise, good luck!

Also, I think that my system can probably hold more than a standard tank because I have been told, numerous times, that I have gone incredibly overboard on the filtration!!!

Originally posted by clownfish4

Also, I think that my system can probably hold more than a standard tank because I have been told, numerous times, that I have gone incredibly overboard on the filtration!!!

You have too many fish already! My personal rule is one SMALL fish (less than 3" maximum size) per 5-10 gallons. In other words, my 20 gallon should only contain 4-3" fish, but because of a large blenny and a medium sized goby, I can add in one more small fish. Take your yellow tang back, it's too big for a 29. I think you should also make a choice between the clown and the cardinal.

Archived