Top Shelf Aquatics

OK to dose Kent Superbuffer dKH while using Seachem Kalkwasser

awinslo

I'm currently using small amounts of Kalkwasser to help keep my KH up but over the weekend the kH dropped and the only way to add Kalkwasser would be adding too much freshwater to the talk at this time. Can I add Kent Superbuffer dKH while there is a small amount of Kalkwasser in the tank? I guess another way of asking would be, is it OK to mix calcium hydroxide (Kalk) and bicarbonates (Supperbuffer)?

lakshwadeep

The hydroxide in kalkwasser quickly forms bicarbonate/carbonate ions, so the superbuffer is going to basically do the same thing except at a higher cost.

How old/big is the tank, how much are you dosing now, and what is the livestock list?

What are the actual levels (including the units) you're experiencing and trying to aim at?

What is your calcium level?

10 Gallon, been set up for about 5 months. I'm dosing Kalk as top off, try to dose at least 1 cup a day but I don't have that much evaporation. Livestock: 2 black and white clowns, frogspawn, acan frag, zoas, mushrooms, ricordea, and CUC. currently the KH is 7 and I'm shooting for the 10-12 range. pH is on the lower side, 7.7. Calcium is 400-420. no Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, or phosphate. I have been using Brightwell Aquatics Salt but the last 2 water changes (50% and 30%) have been with Instant Ocean due to having difficulty keeping Brightwell's salt KH above 10

btw I haven't seen any problems with the livestock while having the lower KH and pH

lakshwadeep

You have two corals that are stony corals, both which are LPS that don't depend heavily (compared to SPS) on calcium/alkalinity for growth. So, the regular kalk additions from topping off are probably more than enough for them.

dKH is not really low; pH is a little problematic, but that really shouldn't be a problem.

Read these articles:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Archived