SaltCritters.com

Brink of failure

dweebikus

Hi Guys,

I've had my Solana up for around 3 years. Last summer we had a big heat wave in Seattle and it killed off a bunch of my livestock. Since then I've been fighting an up and down battle with my tank. I don't really want to tear it down and start over, but I don't know if I've reached a point of no return.

I'll take a picture and post it to this thread later tonight, but it's really embarrassing...

Anyways, here are my problems. I haven't checked my ph/Alk and I need to get a mag kit to test that, but so far my nitrates/trites/ammonia are all at 0, probably because of the mass of algae that's growing in there consuming things as fast as possible.

All of my rock, my back wall, some of my sand has what looks like GHA, I'd like to say it's bryopsis, but all the pictures of bryopsis I've seen make it look a little more strandy. Mine is bushy, lush...irritating. My chaeto is covered in it.

I have a small pocket of red slime algae one one side, likely because the GHA is restricting the flow back in there. I've got a bit of cyano on the opposite side, again probably the same reason.

Finally, I've got this macro algae, which...honestly is beautiful, but aggressive. It basically looks like long green tentacles with anchors growing off of the tentacles, then in patches little clumps of green bubbles that look like mushroom outcroppings growing from the tentacles.

So, there's my problem. Now, I'm not sure what the right attack plan is. I've started a every other day 4 gallon water change regimen, hoping it'll limit nutrients for the algae. Anything else?

My livestock right now is a clown and a goby (I feed them maybe once a week since they've been foraging on the algae, I figure I don't need to introduce more nutrients), and a small bit of zoas (mostly losing the fight with algae), and finally 3 ric heads...

Oh, one last bit of relevant information, my skimmer pump died on me as well, and since then I haven't been able to get my skimmer dialed back in (it's a euroreef nano), so right now about all it's doing is sometimes skimming off particles, most of the time just oxygenating the water.

Sorry for the wall of text, just hoping for some help or if I'm on the right track...motivation. :P

LebaneseDlight

Algae sucks!

How about covering the tank with towels/sheets (removing all light) for a few weeks until the algae is all gone. Do water changes in the meantime to rid of the die-off. Take the zoas/rics and donate them to the LFS or a local reefer.

Where do you live? I MAY have my stock solana skimmer sitting somewhere.... (EDIT: You live in Seattle, and it's prob not worth shipping).

I live in Seattle.

I've tried the lights out, but it didn't seem to touch the algae. I killed lights while I went on vacation to Southern California for 2 weeks at Christmas, but I suppose since I didn't do the water changes it probably didn't help much. Can't hurt to try while I do my water change regimen.

LebaneseDlight

Also do some searches on the forum for cooking live rock. It's definitely more "tearing down the tank" but it's what I would do if I were you. You can cook the rock in rubbermaid tubs, but the process is rather lengthy but will pretty much guarantee the end of your algae nightmare.

I live in Seattle.

I've tried the lights out, but it didn't seem to touch the algae. I killed lights while I went on vacation to Southern California for 2 weeks at Christmas, but I suppose since I didn't do the water changes it probably didn't help much. Can't hurt to try while I do my water change regimen.

Did you try lights out and completely cover the tank with heavy sheets/towels? Just turning down the lights and having ambient light in the room doesn't count. Bottom line: algae can't live without light! At least not the lush green type.

If you opt to go for removing the light to try to get rid of it keep an eye on your parameters. If a lot of algae dies off at once it could spike your tank if it cannot keep up with the die off.

If you really serious about reclaiming your tank and better yet keeping it under control then you should build a strong algae scrubber into your system. Its be best option, then you won't have to ever be concerned again about algae growth. There is a huge list of other bennefits. removal of algae growth is actually not #1 benefit imo. algaescrubber.net

don't lose hope my friend. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. If you have any questions or need any help at all PM me!

Thanks guys, I'm going to pull a sleeping bag out of the closet tonight and lights out for the tank. My wife will probably think I'm hiding a body in there, but...it keeps things interesting.

IMO, you need to get your skimmer working to suck up organics.

How often do you do water changes? What water do you use? How much manual removal of algae do you do?

If you opt to go for removing the light to try to get rid of it keep an eye on your parameters. If a lot of algae dies off at once it could spike your tank if it cannot keep up with the die off.

If you really serious about reclaiming your tank and better yet keeping it under control then you should build a strong algae scrubber into your system. Its be best option, then you won't have to ever be concerned again about algae growth. There is a huge list of other bennefits. removal of algae growth is actually not #1 benefit imo. algaescrubber.net

don't lose hope my friend. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. If you have any questions or need any help at all PM me!

Scrubbers are more hassle than they're worth. you'll get a good idea why here I am also speaking from experience. Chaeto is a much better system for nutrient export, I no longer have any algae in my tank with the chaeto versus my green covered rocks with the scrubber. you could also try an urchin or some other algae eating fish/invert. they are great at ridding tanks of algae.

Scrubbers are more hassle than they're worth. you'll get a good idea why here I am also speaking from experience. Chaeto is a much better system for nutrient export, I no longer have any algae in my tank with the chaeto versus my green covered rocks with the scrubber. you could also try an urchin or some other algae eating fish/invert. they are great at ridding tanks of algae.

I happen to have two tanks that are solely filtered by algeascrubbers. They are no hassle at all, cheap, and uber effective.

restart... getting all of that aglae out will be a #####. set up a quarantine tank for your fish and restart

Ryan is going to hate this... but vodka that tank up! Need that skimmer back up though for that.

And its waste not waist (waist is what your pants go around). :-p

I had a battle with GHA as well. I tried everything, lights out you name it. One day I took a water sample in to my LFS and tolf him of my problem. He said I bet you have low magnesium, sure enough, he was right. He said to dose Mg to around 1500ppm and once it was there, the GHA should start to turn yellow and die off. Again, he was right. So...... you living in Seattle, there should be an LFS that will test your water for you. Also, check to see where your phosphates are at, you may need to run some rowa-phos or phosban. Good Luck!

P.S...... I would also suggest using some chem-clean for the red slime. You may need to treat a couple of times.

Ryan is going to hate this... but vodka that tank up! Need that skimmer back up though for that.

And its waste not waist (waist is what your pants go around). :-p

im sorry nem ill make sure i change it.... :ninja: :ninja:

I happen to have two tanks that are solely filtered by algeascrubbers. They are no hassle at all, cheap, and uber effective.

With an algae scrubber:

DSC_0029.jpg

With Chaeto and no scrubber:

DSC_0048.JPG

Which one's better?

Same tank, same maintenance procedures, feeding procedures etc. the only difference was that the scrubber was removed and the scape changed (and as was the urchin at this point)

therefore I prefer chaeto. It is as cheap and less hassle cause I don't have a screen to clean every week and less evap. I also think the chaeto is more effective than scrubbers as to the results i've seen in my tank. the screen was a trap for detritus and a cyano farm.

bubbles3660

Okay, I'll weigh in. It can be a real challenge keeping algae in check in older tanks - especially ones that have crashed and then come back. So yeah, rebooting is definitely an option.

Even with water changes, over time nitrates and phosphates build up and algae gets harder and harder to control. The bubble macro algae you describe sounds like grape caulerpa. It can quickly become invasive but it's also an excellent means of nitrate/phosphate export (and I think it looks cool too). Also imo, it's easier to remove its root system than other types of caulerpa. Things could be worse. The lights out option is a good short fix but there are other long term options besides chemical weapons:

How old are your lights? Kelvin shift may be contributing to algae growth

Invest in some new cuc - turbo snail, mithrax crab, and/or lawnmower blenny

At the risk of offending the clam police (and depending on your lights) you could add a small crocea to gobble nitrates

Lots of water changes, of course - aggressive scrubbing of the rocks to remove cyano and GHA and then siphon out

Chaeto is the best way to gobble up nitrates/phosphates, imo

Sounds like you've already reduced your feeding regimen.

--bubbles

I battled GHA for over almost a year in a established system that I bought on CL. I was a newbie and didn't know better.. I got so pissed off that I bought a new tank and during the transfer I scrubbed each rock with brushes. Got 90% of the algae off and only transferred about 20% of the old water. I bought completely new sand and tossed the rest. Setup a refugium with Chaeto and other macros. Did 10 gallon water changes daily for 3 months and bought a long spined urchin.. Haven't had a problem since and it's been almost two years.

The longspined urchin did wonders, but I had to get rid of him recently because he ran out of algae to eat. Started eating my corals, but definitely did his job..

If you have the time and since you don't have a lot of livestock left you should take your rocks out and scrub them. Also you need to find the source of the excess nutrients.. Start doing multiple weekly water changes and run a phosphate reactor, carbon, and maybe your protein skimmer. I don't think the protein skimmer's are necessary in Nano's, but they do help. I run my 24 gallon without a skimmer, but regular small daily water changes.

Good luck....

therefore I prefer chaeto. It is as cheap and less hassle cause I don't have a screen to clean every week and less evap. I also think the chaeto is more effective than scrubbers as to the results i've seen in my tank. the screen was a trap for detritus and a cyano farm.

I do respect your personal experience on this.I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. However If the scrubber was a detritus trap and cyano farm it was not built well.

I would take the pepsi challenge with anyone for algae and water parameters for 3+ months.

All the while not doing a single water change myself and allowing the opponent to do a weekly change of 10%..maybe 20% clean your filters or what ever you may have etc. I'll just do my weekly 5 minute screen cleaning.

We could start off with 1/2 cube frozen food per 10 gallons every day for the first week. Then scale up and see who has the best parameters and least algae or run till someone taps out. I'll take the honesty of the opponent as truth. I am fully prepared to concede defeat and admit a cheato fuge is better if I lose.

I'm not looking to growl and lock horns. I'm actually interested in seeing the outcome. We'll consider it a friendly competition.

Are there any reputable takers?

The only thing in my tank that isn't bullet proof is the glass. Lol sig'd

I do respect your personal experience on this.I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. However If the scrubber was a detritus trap and cyano farm it was not built well.

I would take the pepsi challenge with anyone for algae and water parameters for 3+ months.

All the while not doing a single water change myself and allowing the opponent to do a weekly change of 10%..maybe 20% clean your filters or what ever you may have etc. I'll just do my weekly 5 minute screen cleaning.

We could start off with 1/2 cube frozen food per 10 gallons every day for the first week. Then scale up and see who has the best parameters and least algae or run till someone taps out. I'll take the honesty of the opponent as truth. I am fully prepared to concede defeat and admit a cheato fuge is better if I lose.

I'm not looking to growl and lock horns. I'm actually interested in seeing the outcome. We'll consider it a friendly competition.

Are there any reputable takers?

The only thing in my tank that isn't bullet proof is the glass. Lol sig'd

That would be a pretty tough side by side comparison because everyone's systems are different. That's why I believe that all of us need to take advice from others and figure out what's best for our system. The only way you could have a comparable and equal competition is to have someone with the exact tank as yourself. Bio-load, LR,LS, lighting, skimmer, phos reactor, maturity of the tank, and dosing schedule. Just my .02...,but it'll be an interesting contest though.

That would be a pretty tough side by side comparison because everyone's systems are different. That's why I believe that all of us need to take advice from others and figure out what's best for our system. The only way you could have a comparable and equal competition is to have someone with the exact tank as yourself. Bio-load, LR,LS, lighting, skimmer, phos reactor, maturity of the tank, and dosing schedule. Just my .02...,but it'll be an interesting contest though.

Yeah, I suppose that is somewhat true. For the record.

55gallon tank

40lbs live rock

no skimmer

no reactor

6 month old tank

dose calcium strontium mag

Working on LED lights, currently have a regular light bar daylight/actinic 50/50

1/2" fish per gallon

Currently feeding 5 cubes a day over the course of the day(not all at once)

CUC=dozen nas snails, 4 turbo snails, 6 crabs, sand sifting star, and my sand sifting goby.

A properly built algae scrubber.

I have a 33g with a dwarf lion, clarkii, and takifugu puffer. but it only has 10lbs of live rock and the scrubber is pretty ghetto. While all parameters are zero its not a great contender because it was just thrown together so my gf could have a damn puffer and a lion.

Wow, lots of info, thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm actually hitting up one of my LFS this weekend to pick up a mag kit. I've been a little leary of dosing mag just due to it sounding a bit like treating the symptom and not the cause and generally algae comes from excess nutrients.

As for removal/water changes, I go in waves. Some weeks I fill up a plastic bag of algae I pull out, other weeks I get so demotivated by it's return that I just do the water change and hang my head.

I generally do a 4 - 5 gallon change every week. This week I've done 2.

As for lights, I use a reeflux 20k bulb that I changed last July, I'm going to likely change it again next month.

Carbon media I run chemipure elite, i try to change it every 3 months but tend to change it more like every 6 months.

So, I think my plan of attack will be:

Continue twice a week water changes.

Pick up a mag kit and some tech-m, can't hurt to bring levels in to recommended ranges if they're out of wack

Pick up a long spine urchin (I've always liked them), and recoup my other CuC bits

Drink a beer, maybe 3

Replace my skimmer (suggestions appreciated)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived