Cultivated Reef

polyps won't open

nano cool

Another newbie post. I purchased some purplish colored polyps (star polyps?) today from the LFS. One of them was not opened at the LFS, and has not yet opened in my tank. The other was open in the LFS tank; this has not yet opened in my tank either. About a week ago, I bought a purplish polyp frag from a different LFS (it was closed in their tank), and it opened up in my tank within 5-10 min.

My question is whether or not the purplish polyps that I purchased today are still viable? It has been at least 6 hrs, and they still have not opened.

My tank specs: 12 g nano, 16lb LR, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate undetectable, SG 1.023.

Thanks!

they will probably open up within a few days...make sure your tank is stable(temp, salinity). my polyps got knocked over and tumbled down...they didn't open for like 4 days...but now they're fine. don't worry about it.

You really should find out a bit about a coral before you purchase it. If in fact it is star polyps that you purchased they can take days to open once they are introduced to your tank. Perfectly normal. I would suggest picking up a copy of Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals for future reference. That way you can find out the requirements of a coral before you buy it.

Archived