Cultivated Reef

Is it time for a water change already?

johnyens

Hello Everyone,

I have started a 58G tank and I was able to get some rock that was established in a tank for a little over a year.

The rock was pretty much submerged in water during the hour drive and then into the new tank.

I have been testing water parameters and seen really nothing but Nitrate.

Just did a test yesterday which was a week since the rock was put in and here are the results using an API test kit:

Ammonia: 0 (maybe just a slight but no where near .25)

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10ppm

Should I go ahead and change some water? Also how much water change would you guys do? Its a 58G with a sump thats maybe 20G?

Thanks for your help! If you would like to see pics just check out the sig tank thread.

With the rock being fully cured and never out of water during transport you will see no cycle. Do the water change, 30 or so %

With the rock being fully cured and never out of water during transport you will see no cycle. Do the water change, 30 or so %

Thanks SteveT!

I will have to get some larger containers...

You are the man! :P

To this day I use walmart totes for water changes.

What is a Wallmart Tote?

Do you have a picture or can you find it on their website?

I was unable to find it using google.

jamesnmandy

yep, the smaller ones are easier to manage though, i buy the 18 gallon rubbermaid ones, i must have 5 or 6 of them, one for waste water, one for mixing new water......the rest were from moving this 75 gallon system across several states, rock, water, corals, fish and all went with....

noticed once u move rocks u kick up sand which causes a mini cycle. or a spike in ammonia.

but a established tank would cycle it pretty fast.

noticed once u move rocks u kick up sand which causes a mini cycle. or a spike in ammonia.

but a established tank would cycle it pretty fast.

+1 I've bought a few established tanks over the last two years and you will have a mini-cycle. What happens is when you place the rocks in different configurations in your tank you will in essence kill some of the living organisms on the rocks. There will be lighting changes, flow changes, rocks layed on top of eachother that weren't before etc. The die off is minimal, but you may see some of your readings increase. I never had a problem with it and I decided to do water changes every other day in my 100 gallon at the time. Usually 5-10% at a time.. It's called a soft cycle... I did this because the tanks I bought came with all of the livestock as well. I had to keep the water quality decent during the mini-cycle period. I've done this process 4 times since I had to move a few times without any loss of corals or livestock..

If you just have live rock and sand in your tank your probably fine. Just do regular waterchanges and start adding animals in a week or two..

Archived