Innovative Marine Aquariums

What do you guys test for?

Chromis

What do you guys test for?  Everything I read says something a little different.

Obviously

pH

salinity

ammonia

nitrite

salinity

what else?

Guest AbSoluTc

There are basic rules to this hobby regarding this.  I will break it down very simply.

New Tank Setups -

Ammonia

Nitrates

Ph

Salinity

Calcium

After Tank Setup - Cycle Over

PH

Nitrates

Calcium

Salinity

6 moth and older

Salinity

Calcium

That is basically the jist of it .  You mileage may vary.  Once you get "seasoned" you know what and what not to check for.  You can see how things are behaving and go - oooh, thats not doing good, lets see.  Stuff like that.  Then you have "Die Hards" that check everything at least 2x's a week.  IMO - a waste.

Im sure others have something to add.

(Edited by AbSoluTc at 11:33 pm on June 24, 2002)

cowfishlover

I'm sorry. I can't remember my question. Something on this page has me captivated. Uhhhhh. Oh ya, how big are your... um, tanks and how much and how often do you change water.

Lunchbucket

me i test for nothing weekly.  i know what dose of calcium and alk to add an test only maybe monthly to make sure i am still on.

just test water changes for salinity.

a tank that is older like mine should be fine for everything and i know how it reacts to food etc. so just test alk and calcium.

Lunchbucket

I test the fish ability to hide ... I stick a net in the tank every week or 3 and see how hard it is to catch them. If they can react faster than 3 seconds then I pass them....

as ,far as water.. I test once a week to once a month depending on the tank and volume ow watercahnges and depending on tank conditions.....

CA

Iodine,

Phosphates,

Magnezium,

Borate,

Hardness,

and sperm count

............Umm wrong test oops.....

When my 10 gallon tank was new I tested for Temperature,nitrite,nitrate,ammonia,phosphate,silicate,and ph.

After a few tests, I decided not to test:

phosphates, and silicates --because obviously the water source is the same and therefore there is no problem just as long as the water source stays the same....  tap water thru DI unit

Ph - because I use the same salt as I always use, and do the same water changes as always and the ph will always be the same if i continue doing the same thing.

After 6 months the only tests I do is:

Calcium every now and then(once a month)

Salinity almost every other day(quick and easy and important)

Temperature everyday twice a day...

However:

When I sense something is different about my tank, weather it be a little brown algae on the sandbed, corals are all shrivelled up, or a death, like a crab or fish(it does happen), caraline algae is beginning to turn white a bit, a shrimp molted, or even just because that day I am in a strange mood that everythings wrong with everything, Then I test for everything, then do a water change(2 gallons) right away even if I find nothing wrong......

Thats it.....

(Edited by leaky at 1:57 pm on June 25, 2002)

I don't test that often unless I see something wrong, because I don't like the micromanagment  approach to reefing.  The test kits I have, and use occasionally, are:

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

pH

Calcium

Alkalinity

Once the tank's a few months older, I won't be using the first two unless something seems wrong.

I'll probably get an Iodine test kit as well if I decide to start dosing Iodine.

Archived