Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vodka Dosing...

Collinw24

I have decided to start vodka and just had a few questions.

First I was wondering what the total volume of my system would be if it was a 55 gallon with 67 LBS of

live and 50 LBS of sand? And if you use 0.1 ML per 25 gallons how may should I use?

Second, where can I find a syringe small enough to measure fractions of a ML?

Thanks!

Paleoreef103
I have decided to start vodka and just had a few questions.

First I was wondering what the total volume of my system would be if it was a 55 gallon with 67 LBS of

live and 50 LBS of sand? And if you use 0.1 ML per 25 gallons how may should I use?

Second, where can I find a syringe small enough to measure fractions of a ML?

Thanks!

For a small enough syringe you'll have to go to a drug store and buy one. They will look at you funny, but if you tell them what you want it for and tell them you actually do not want the needle part of it they'll give them to you. You could also hit up a chemistry supply store.

I calculated the ml fractions based on drops, because a drop is about .05 ml, so 20 drops is 1 ml. I believe I started with 2 drops per day for a week, then doubled that the second week, and doubled from there and out, finally getting up to 15 drops per day for my 28 gal JBJ. I figure I have about 20 gallons or so of water.

Remember its always better to dose with less and gradually increase. Just keep an eye on your nitrates.

I don't think any lbs/volume measure would be accurate, since it depends on how dense your rock is.

The weight of the rock will be based off of density wouldn't it?

unflavored 40% 80proof sky is the best. estimate about a 25% decrease in the total volume of your tank from rock, sand, and equipment...

The weight of the rock will be based off of density wouldn't it?

Yes it would. Density = Mass/Volume.

You need 2 to figure out the other one. You only have mass.

Best to ask someone who had a salifert syringe for testing. Or you can go to the doctors office and ask them for one, just make sure you say you don't want the needle haha.

trigger1121

Like kthehun89 said any unflavored, 80 proof vodka will work. I got a pint of Svedka Vodka at the liquor store for $7 and it has lasted over a year at 1mL a day. Just start slow with it, and keep your eye on the nitrates. I started with .2mL for two days and then bumped it to .5ml for a week. Check nitrates and add another .5ml a week until they start to decrease. My dosing reached 2mL before I saw any change in my nitrates. Now I use 1mL as a maintenance dose.

Archived