inTank Media Baskets

Live Rock and general questions

mcausey

All,

First let me thank all of you for the tons of wonderful advise I was able to use from searching the forums. I am 3-4 weeks into my first tank and things seem to be going well. I have a major outbreak of diatoms (brown stuff on substrate) but from what I have read this is not a major problem and should be expected towars the end of my cycle. I have a 5 g tank with a single damsel.

Now for my questions..... What types of things grow from liverock? I look at the photos of the tanks the member have and the live rock has all kinds of things growing on them. Are these things "born/grow" from the live rock or have these creatues been added as time goes by and glued to the rock? I know dumb question but I have not seen it addressed yet so I thought I would ask.

Next question is bio load.... I want to have +- 7lbs of live rock, one fish, and say two or three sails for clean up. Is this too much for a 5 g or is it about right??

Last question is lighting.... I have a dual spectrum 10w coral life (screw in) bulb. I want to get the 20w coral life bulb but I have been having probems finding them. Does anyone know where I can get one of these bulbs online? Or should I try to find a new light (non screw in) and try to get as many w's as I can.

Thanks in advance....

mike

all sorts of things grow from lr, but it may take some time for it to appear and very much depends on your rock. and yes, many 'glue' things to it, for instance polyps of many types.

you bioload sounds fine, but i would add more snails, and perhaps an emerald crab.

as far as lighting, what you claim you want (one fish and snails) does not require much light. but you will certainly want more than what you say. get as much light as you feel you can afford. at least one of the 27w pc's. but remember, it is better to get the best now than to find out you wasted money later because you want more light. personally, i would certainly ditch the screw in and go pc. check our sponsors link above. you will find many options there.

nalbar

Archived