Cultivated Reef

????????????????????????????

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

i have had my tank set up for a little over a month now and my live rock is completely cycled and i have 9 little hermits running around and a snail. I tested my water and everything was stable so i went and got some fish today .....

When i first put the fish in everything seemed to be fine. About 8-10 hours later i look at my tank and i dont see any fish!! i look around and my goby is hiding, my fire fish is skipping around dragging himself around the tank gasping for air, and my coral beauty is laying on its sit breathing VERY heavy. I see no white spots on any fish. I gave them all proper freshwater dips b4 putting them in my tank....and ive seen all 3 of them eat since i put them in. WHAT IS GOING ON??

here are my updated water par's

Temp-77-78

Specific gravity-1.022-23

PH- 8.0

Nitrite-0

Ammonia-0

Alkalinity-a little above average

AReeferIsExpensive

i have a wisper pump with one of those bio bags...and i have a powerhead on the other side set on low.....

i just went and checked on the fish and two are down..only yellow goby is left hiding. my fish died literally within 20 minutes...both of them. how could both die so fast at once??

AReeferIsExpensive

Goby is sitting on the bottom and not breathing hard at all.....he survived the night and might make it. This is a good thing yes, but it just makes it even harder to figure out why the hell the beauty and fire fish died....

HERES THE INFO-

Everything i am using is ALL new equipment because i have a fear of ich. Its a fifteen gallon. I am using tap water but im using one of those chlorine roemovers that says its safe for saltwater. When i bought the fish the guy told me not to put ANY of the water from the bag into the tank because it had copper in it. I have figi live rock and i have no algae in my tank (i dont know where it is? i just never really got any after the brown outbreak during cycling.)

To dip them i added a cup of tank water every thirty minutes. Then i took some dechlorinated water that was very close to the tank temp but a little colder because the bag water by this time was cold and i didnt want the tank entering to be as much as a shock. The PH was the same. I put them in the bowl individually for about 3 minutes each but the angle i took out a little sooner because she was thrashing around a bit and it was heartbreaking. then i put them from the freshwater into my tank. They all seemed happy and eating until hours later everything went wrong. For the first about 9-10 hours the fish were in the tank the lights were on (coral sun 50/50) and then when i saw them dying i turned it off incase it was stressing to them. Im new at this but i did a lot of research b4 i got into all of this so i still might be doing something wrong that caused this....

anyone see anything that seems a little off that i need to change? Im going to take my water sample to the lfs to see if they can test for anything but honestly the lfss around here lie to me all the time for money...they even told me purple nudibranches were reef safe (even the one in their tank was munching on a beautiful zoo!)

And lets say i cant find anything wrong....how long should i wait to put anything else into the tank?

Reefer_Buddha

a coral beauty shouldnt EVER live in a nano ok? Or any other angelfish for that matter, they need established tanks. You shouldnt ever dump more than 1 fish in at a time also. Sounds like you acclimated them well. Have you taken the fish out since this? Are they all dead? If so get em outta there. Your ammonia will be through the roof if you just leave em in there dead. I duno why some lfs would sell you fish with copper in the water also, that seems fishy to me (yes it was a pun). Hard to tell ya what to do on this one, checking the water parameters like you said is the best bet. And dont add anything until youve researched it with the ppl here or other KNOWLEDGABLE reefers, not lfs retards.

AReeferIsExpensive

Yea the whole coral beauty angel situation made me feel really bad because i purchased the fish thinking it was okay because they were being held in a 10-15 gallons at the lfs. After going online to make sure i made it at home i saw ppl were saying 30+ gal. for angels.

I found both fire and angel about 5-10 minutes after they died and removed them right away. thats when i examined them closely under the flourecent light to look for ich spots...none found.

Im going to take the dead fish plus water sample to the lfs and try to figure things out.... it kills me to watch fish laying on their sidesand i dont want to see it for a while!

Originally posted by AReeferIsExpensive

I am using tap water but im using one of those chlorine roemovers that says its safe for saltwater.  

That is a huge no-no. You should only use ro/di water or distilled water for your tanks. There are alot of things in tap water that can be very harmful to fish and especially invertebrates like heavy metals and such.

AReeferIsExpensive

PROBLEM SOLVED! (i hope!)

I just wanted to update you guys on whats been going on. Esp. because i dont want anyone else to make this same mistake. Goby has been laying around all day..cloudy eyes, no appetite, disoriented. I went out and bought some distilled water...

after setting up a new quar. tank with the distilled water i placed him in and saw immediate improvements both in behaviour and physically!! Hopefully he still has a chance. Water source is DEF IMPORTANT. never knew it was so crucial~ Thanks everyone for the help again.

AReeferIsExpensive

Is it very necessary to give any fish from the copper tanks a dip b4 placing them into your tank? or is the amount on the fish not enough to harm any inverts?

Archived