Top Shelf Aquatics

Dustin11's Fluval EDGE build

Dustin11

@Raszagil

Thanks!

You're certainly welcome to steal it :)

This is the first time I've tried a canister fuge and I'm finding it to be surprisingly easy and simple!

I also threw a bag of purigin and chemi-pure elite in there, just kind of floating around. I need to find a better way to incorporate them. I'm thinking I will build a container that will force the water threw my chemical media before releasing it into the fuge section. Always something else to build!!! ;)

• 2 months later...

Great build, I'm in the process of mine now, how did u mount the lights? I see some

Sort o putty. Do you find you have adequet space to replace the bulbs when the time arises?

Thx

@eddiezahra: The putty is epoxy putty. It was a VERY simple/hack way to attach those sockets to the top lid. I have just barely enough space to switch out the bulbs, and I have to do it very carefully.

for your chemical container, why not use a DIY inline CO2 reactor type of device ( but without the CO2 input ) and put it in there.

so a basic PVC tube with a input and output inline to your output of the refugium, capped at both ends with threaded endcaps. adding 1 way ball valves would make it more spill proof, but lot's of ideas are around.

got the idea from FW : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/6519...o2-reactor.html

would not cost more then $10 bucks at a local hardware store.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure which pipes you mean, but I will assume that you mean the pipes from and to the canister filter. For those I used the flexible tubing that came with the canister filter and then just hooked them up to a hydor-flo for the outlet and the inlet strainer of the aquaclear for the inlet. I did not drill the tank, the pipes just go up the back and over the glass.

sorry i should've been more specific, i was in "stress" mode lol. i meant the pipes for the drain and the return lines. did u seal the drain with silicone and w/o a bulkhead? hope i'm making sense. thx

I think that you're thinking of drains used for an open-air sump. In which case a drain would be required with or without a bulkhead. However I am using a canister filter that is sealed, and thus not open to the air. For this configuration a drain and bulkhead is not needed. Only an inlet hose and an outlet hose, both of which must be fully submerged to maintain the flow. I think some other people used a sump/drain combination with the EDGE, but I am not one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I upgraded/changed my filter around. I replaced my refugium light from a 7W undercabinet puck light to a new 11W 6500k CFL spotlight mounted next to the filter. This is WAY better because:

1.) the 7W undercabinet lights suck! mine started as a 6500k but after about 4 months it was probably closer to 3000k and only 1/3 as bright.

2.) 6500k CFL spotlights are the BEST for refugiums, I use a larger one on my big tank and it grows macro like crazy!

3.) Since my new light is mounted on the aquarium stand, its one less thing I need to worry about and disconnect when i'm cleaning my canister filter :)

4.) Its a super clean and cheap mod!

I also added a module that forces water through some GFO and carbon before entering the refugium area of my canister, YAY!

5425072233_a84998453b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Been cycling my edge for about a month now and just added the first fish and a shrimp. Really look forward to reading this thread in depth. I'm particularly interested in your filtration and flow systems... I'll be using the AI prime lights when they come out but the rest of the project is still as I get to it...

anyway, thanks for the thread!

Archived