Coral Vue Hydros

20g Hexagon

Primeval

Fishing line mod to Maxi-jet 1200

dsc08481m.jpg

Drilled 1/16" holes in each impeller "blade" no more than 3/16" from the ends. Then I threaded fishing line in no real special way in and out of the holes circling the impeller about 3 times.

dsc08480zm.jpg

Looking on

The fishing line mod had a moderate increase in bubbles. I'm still not pulling out any skimmate. I will try the direct intake venturi mod next as seen here

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installing the direct-flow venturi mod as described on the CPR website here

dsc08492y.jpg

Drilled a 3/16 hole for the air-line nipple and then cut off and end of the nipple so it was just around 3/16" long.

dsc08494l.jpg

From inside.

dsc08496a.jpg

Superglued in place.

After it dries I will add the tubing and finish installing.

• 1 month later...

DSC08500.jpg

Tube attached from original venturi

DSC08501.jpg

The whole air-mod setup

DSC08502.jpg

Another shot of my fishing line mod. I hope these two mods produces more bubbles

DSC08505.jpg

Bubbles!

DSC08506.jpg

Success

DSC08507.jpg

A shot of the setup in testing phase without the overflow/pre-skimmer box. I had to re-attach the piece that installs the venturi to slow the flow down a bit. I was actually pulling in too much water with nothing on the intake and the bubbles weren't forming. Once I slid the black piece back on, it was the perfect combination.

Hope it works out for you! I thought about doing this mod in my 55 gallon. Best of luck!

It was very helpful. I don't pull much skimmate right now because I don't have fish in there yet. I want everything looking good first.

I picked up the YWG and he seems to be doing okay so far. The one I had my eye on for a few weeks was not looking at his best when I got him. The LFS decided to put a pseudochromis in the same tank as him and his top fin had been nipped a bit so I suppose I did him a big favor buy getting him when I did.

Pics to come after I clean the coraline off my glass again

• 2 weeks later...

010.jpg

I've found the appropriate water level that brings me the best bubble production.

011-1.jpg

Inside the Pre-skimmer Combo Box. I have to top this off about every 2 days to keep bubble production at its max. It looks like I need to do some dusting already.

012-1.jpg

My acrylic top still bows into the tank after a week or so of sitting under my light so I keep flipping it over like so. If it doesn't eventually temper then I may have to cut a thicker piece.

014-1.jpg

I did a water change while I was in there. It was still a little cloudy.

I'm considering spacing out my rock a bit more and building up closer to the water surface. This seems rather difficult with most of my pieces being somewhat boulder-like. I'll browse some pics and see if I can get some inspiration.

I like your livestock plans...

what did you end up doing with the live rock... aquascaping is tricky in a hex

Nothing yet. I am still looking for pics of taller tanks for inspiration.

Luckily, only 3 of my sides are viewable and I let the back 3 get covered with coraline - this will be easier than trying to pile it all up in the center.

I may actually have too much rock - which is sad because its so healthy right now. I'd hate to take out a piece or two and let it dry out.

I pulled all of my rock out and placed it on the floor so I could get a look at everything I had. I put together a few ideas and then rustled some things around.

When the sediment settles I'll probably do a few final touches and take some pics. I'm sure it will start looking better regardless once I get some frags growing in there and get my livestock back up.

• 3 weeks later...
On another note I haven't seen my YWG in a while.

he most likely made a burrow under the rocks(and may i say some beautiful rocks at that).

worst case scenario is he turned into a ghost and jumped through your lid! lol :lol:

Perhaps. If he's eating then he's eating when I'm not around and grabbing free-floating food from the bottom because it's been around 2 weeks now.

I'm hoping I didn't squash him moving things around. I probably should have taken him out to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't seen the YWG at all. Not looking very promising.

In other news, my maxi-jet went out in my skimmer and I haven't taken the time to reset the impeller. Its been a week with no water circulation. I suppose I should get on that - its going to be a real pain getting into it.

Just did a water change. Need to clean the glass a bit too. Hopefully pics today or tomorrow.

I'm waiting on my LFS to get another few gobies in. I'm really disappointed I lost my YWG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Just an update - This tank is still alive and kicking and I've been so occupied lately that almost 1 year later, it still has no fish.

Archived