Pod Your Reef

Lifegard little time and temp

BearsFan87

I got this little thing at petco.

http://www.petco.com/product/8171/Rainbow-...hermometer.aspx

I used it for a while but I finally have tested it against my RKL's thermometer and it's consistently reading 2 degrees lower than the RKL. Of course this could be either thermometers fault. So I tested both with a lab-grade real mercury thermometer. The RKL was spot on and the cheap POS was way off.

so basically dont buy it.

You could buy it. Just make sure and calibrate it against a lab-grade mercury thermometer every few months and include the correction factor in your reading lol.

Or skip the hassle and buy a descent thermometer.

I have about three of these and they ALL read different. Not one of them is accurate to my glass thermometer or my A/C jr. So I agree! But there really aren't too many accurate thermometers out there if you don't own a controller.

I use one for when I make up water for water changes. Set the heater's indicator to 80 and drop the probe of the el'cheapo thermometer in the bucket as well, just as a safeguard. Let's me know when to add salt and lets me know how close the WC water is to the tank when adding it. Around here they cost about $10, so (for that purpose) I love mine.

Damn. I've been using this as my tank thermometer since I set it up, but after this post ran out and bought a glass thermometer since I was worried my temp was going to be way off. Turns out mine is perfectly accurate, at least as far as I can compare the two by eye. Time and Temp says 77.9 or 78.1, and the glass one reads as close to 78 as I can see. Oh well, now I can use the glass one for my water change water instead of having to pull the digital one out of the tank everytime!

Damn. I've been using this as my tank thermometer since I set it up, but after this post ran out and bought a glass thermometer since I was worried my temp was going to be way off. Turns out mine is perfectly accurate, at least as far as I can compare the two by eye. Time and Temp says 77.9 or 78.1, and the glass one reads as close to 78 as I can see. Oh well, now I can use the glass one for my water change water instead of having to pull the digital one out of the tank everytime!

That was good to double check! Never hurts. And great that you have one that's accurate. :)

Skip these, they are wrong from the start (I've had three the sucker I am.) I use those digital cooking meat thermometers. Much more accurate, although the wife complains every time I dip it in the tank that it is used for food, not fish tank.

Archived